Fun removal shots and video

rbtree

Climbing Up
I just did a quick put together of the video. Will add titles later maybe.

The job entailed climbing and felling a bunch of cottonwoods near Duvall, where the trees grow tall. Big ones up to 150', young ones up to 110'.....big ones in the woods, lots of room. Small ones near structures, felled with wedges or pull lines, all set from the ground with throw lines.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzPObzBOpBU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uzPObzBOpBU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Andy (lakeside_53 from AS, who scores me tons of work around Tuck Lake)missed getting the vid of me felling the tree on the old shed.

Are cottonwoods invasive out there or something? Looks like fun, for sure! Like the semi-handstand!

I love knocking apart cottonwoods like that when there's lots of room...rigging them not so much.

Nice pics and video Roger.

Cottonwoods are nothing but giant weeds in the PNW wagnaw...with a few exceptions.

We've got nothing even close to that tall around here. I could give all the the 100'+ trees names here.

nice video... looked like fun. and those were some big cottonwoods...

Opps, I shoulda thought more!

Attachments

• DSCF0561 [800x600].JPG
    DSCF0561 [800x600].JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Ya noticed the secondary and service power lines? To the right (not shown) is the primary, with the phone lower on the poles!

Service lines are a free drop here and telephone are cheap or easy enough to do yourself. Looks like easy access for a bucket too?

Heck and you have your own crane don't you?

I do trees like that all the time and that one looks particularly easy. Wide open yard, huge landing area, I can set up in the street, nothing that needs roping over the house, just start cutting and try not to hit the ground crew. ;)

let me get my 50 cal....
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2jdlfmaHuk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q2jdlfmaHuk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice Roger, send that young fella up here for a few days. I have one that will test his nerve!
populus alba? alive?

easy to climb.....just kill the power and oldschool'll shinny out on those wires:P

no clean up ...sweet.
Rented the chipper to the customer. He and Andy chipped up all the trees Andy had felled and maybe some of our mess....and all the storm damaged stuff at Andy's place ( gratis of course for that--Andy's scored me close to 5 figures of work this year) He said he had 100 feet worth of rhodys that were ruined by the 3 feet of snow they had.

This was the scene when we arrived yesterday morning

3208788952_a8aa54b43a_o.jpg

Sweet Rog... We don't have that many cotton woods that big. Most break and fall over under 100 feet. Love to top and drop em though :D

That one looks like a fun day TD :D

Second time I've seen this curious growth, which is caused by freezing fog, I think. Both times I've seen it, it's been on decaying alder branches. It's like cotton candy. These shots were taking as it was metamorphosing. It melts down to almost nothing. I'm guessing it takes a few nights to grow. And can survive daytime temps a bit above freezing if the sun stays off it...which melts it quickly! Woulda made a good time lapse sequence.....

3208202263_89200fcce7_o.jpg

3209087900_211ec07a3d_o.jpg

Yeah, that stuff reminds me of the rhine frost we have around here that forms on everything at high elevations from cloud moisture condensing and freezing.

Back