Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Becket Or Other Hitch

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I Hold On With My Arms/Legs The Way God Intended

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lxskllr

Treehouser
What are you all using? My flipline came with a mechanical adjuster, so that's what I used, but my secondary lanyard is fitted with a prusik, and I'm pretty sure I like that better. Smooth operation, and easier to adjust while under tension. Never tried the Becket, but that looks kinda unwieldy. Might be better to use than it looks...

Rope grabs are great for pitchy stuff, I always keep a pine lanyard in my bag. There’s other mechanical adjusters that allow one to pay out slack while tensioned, I got a Cinch, a Vergo, and a Zillon. Other ones that are popular are the Grillon and the Positioner from A.R.T.
hitch and micro pulley is a great route if you’re not dealing with pitch, rain, or ice.

Haven’t used the Vergo for work yet, just got it a few days ago, but from playing around with it, it’s function seems about identical to the Cinch, but needs thinner rope.

I’m in love with this Zillon, and occasionally use the Akimbo on a lanyard. 👌

I used to use a rope grab. I've been using a prussic the last few years. I like the prussic better since it will release under weight.

I'm with Stephen, depends on the lanyard. On my 5/8 inch cable cored fliplines, it's a mechanical (Petzl Macrograb). On my rope lanyards, I use both any of several mechanical devices, and a couple of different friction hitches.

Sticky conifer pitch is a constant aggravation in my part of the world. Generally, but not always, mechanicals deal with that better than hitches. I often make the choice based on that factor, for the rope lanyards.

It's been a coon's age since I used a becket hitch on my cable cored flipline in production work. But there is one thing for sure with that system...it's immune to pitch :). But I always taught it as part of the progression through different lanyard systems. It's good to know how to fall back on old school tech that is nearly impossible to break ;).

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. I like my rope grab on pitchy stuff but would rather use my lanyard with an eye to eye adjustment on almost everything else. For pruning I set it up with a 45’ tail and use as a secondary tie in. With a pinto pulley it so easy

Dented many car hoods in my youth B. Big ole boys would get embarrassed and down right angry about losing to a 150# runt. Glad them days are over. Of course I did just show a 20 year old how to do pull ups. Beat him one handed and in my inebriated state told him that’s why his mother likes me so much. All in good fun

For you, no doubt...the young buck might not have seen the humor quite so clearly...watch your back, my friend. The kids can occasionally get extra stoopid, when put in their place.
:D

You can do a one handed pull up , Rich? Most impressive. How about a muscle up? Human flag?

I've been on a hitch for years, Most guys like mechanicals. I haven't upsized from Gibbs 7/16-1/2", to a macro grab 5/8", but am about to.
150'+ dead Grand fir, soon Pitchiest tree around here. Pitch blisters on the trunk that pop like giant zits.

I couldn't run the top at all, natural crotched, on the last big Grand removal I did. Stuck like glue.

I like hitches, but I don't do a lot of pitch removals. Either use diestel, michiocan or knut hitch, with a brass snap behind the hitch for tending

150'+ dead Grand fir, soon Pitchiest tree around here. Pitch blisters on the trunk that pop like giant zits.

Grand fir very rare around here but I took one down this summer, my first one ever afaik, about 100'. Had lot's of trouble ID'g it till Jed helped me out. The thing that stood out to me more than the pitch was the weight and strength of the wood.

You can do a one handed pull up , Rich? Most impressive. How about a muscle up? Human flag?
Yes I can one handed pull up and do a decent amount either hand. Not sure what a muscle up is. By human flag do you mean holding myself straight out from a post? Yes I can but not for more than a few seconds. Been a minute since I’ve attempted that though. One handed pull ups I give credit to climbing spurless on a taughtline for years

I ordered one from Wesspur.
About $30. Aluminum.

Would prefer the 90* twisted eye, but not at 3x's the price or more.

7/16-5/8".

Back