Fixed grabs on loaders

Mick!

TreeHouser
I am in the market for a new grab for the loader, current one is twisted here and there, repairable and still usable, but, you know..
The rotator version of my knockabout is 5k and that’s a little more than I want to spend.
So this is being offered at half the price.
Not with a rotator but can be fixed in a number of positions for various tasks.

I have seen August has this on his Skid, but obviously he’s not about.
Anyone else use these? And do they have any real advantages over the traditional knockabout? 8C4D525F-8B9A-4EB1-9998-081877058FE2.jpeg C6E3ED3A-EFD1-47BE-B0A9-E78C76493523.jpeg D563B458-E623-4A0B-AFC9-A972C54E088D.jpeg

No personal experience...major caveat :)...but at half the price, looks like far more than half the utility, to my eye. I'd be tempted to give it a go, Mick. It sure does look beefy enough to handle the task.

I have not uses a fixed grab just a BMG and the regular grapple bucket. For me the BMG is where it's at. The ability to snake brush out is key for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes it’s a heavier construction, I’m 90% sure, just looking for snags.

The horizontal setting looks good for small trees, hold it, cut it, then take it to the chipper.
I have not uses a fixed grab just a BMG and the regular grapple bucket. For me the BMG is where it's at. The ability to snake brush out is key for me.
In theory you still can, it’s free moving, but the grapple won’t dangle like a bird feeder, but will still turn to follow the route of the machine if you see what I mean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sorry, my bad.

Been using it a while now and it’s definitely better than a dangle in nearly all respects.
You can hold a pack of branches rigid in there and drive or reverse out without the risk of them slipping off the heel.
You can set it to ‘earwig’ and pick up small trees and hedges in one to transport them to the fire or chipper and then switch to the ‘toucan’ setting for the loading of logs to a tipping trailer so they roll off the back nicely.

The only disadvantages areits less easy to swing the branches to feed the chipper as the head won’t rotate easily unless it’s dead level, plus you’re likely to leave holes in the garden if you’re not careful that it’s dead level when picking up logs in the toucan setting. E7188AD5-A82C-4A4A-8DD2-F397D5137C14.jpeg E9787398-9C4A-4122-B250-A350AC5C816D.jpeg 46523160-F298-47B1-9686-A09DCE38D4DA.jpeg

But the dangle sits idle now, just as back up.

In conclusion, for the tree business it’s an upgrade on a dangle.

I once camped in an old canvas army tent in Provence which was filled with them. So nasty, also remember stepping on a hedgehog in the middle of the night, probably while being chased by the wee beasties.

I think I asked about one of these a while ago since it looked like everyone was only making the dangle style, and I prefer the rigid design that can be locked, or unlocked to rotate freely. The grapple should be off balance allowing it to be rotated when empty by using gravity. I found the vermeer brand one I used to work with very efficient and useful.

Back