Families First Corona Virus Response Act/ Employer pays worker for being sick

vharrison

Island Girl
Effective yesterday 4/1/2020

FEDERAL LAW Wage and Labor division

Companies with LESS than 500 employees:

1. MUST PAY a worker for 80 hours if he/she is subject to Federal, State or Local Quarantine or Islotion order due to COVID-19

2. has been advised by a health care provider to be self quarantined related to COVID-19

There are more stipulation that I don’t have time to type read it for yourself

IT’S. A CROCK of CRAP

If the employee can document that they've got symptoms, have been seeking a diagnosis and give you a list of medical providers they've tried, you can get a tax credit for their wages.

We're reading after they exhaust their sick time we can apply for up to 96 hours of sick time per employee from the Govt.

They'll subsidise it as long as they can borrow and the current financial system exists. Every dollar they print is simply debt with future labor as collateral.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing is, 2 weeks of sick pay for employees is not built into my pricing. However, this Paycheck protection loan seems to cover it. Heck, why do I have to jump through the hoops to get government money to pay them? if it is going to be government money paying them, why doesn’t the government just pay them and save me the hassle?

Am I missing something here?

The gov wants you to stay open, hence the pass through with you being on the hook if you dont.

The thing is, 2 weeks of sick pay for employees is not built into my pricing. However, this Paycheck protection loan seems to cover it. Heck, why do I have to jump through the hoops to get government money to pay them? if it is going to be government money paying them, why doesn’t the government just pay them and save me the hassle?

Missing? This won't be over in two weeks. You can easily hear experts speaking of months, and then references to years of dealing with this in some ways. Looking back at history of an obviously different virus I have seen info about the 1918 pandemic going into 1920. Just interesting information.

What is clear to me is that there is zero guarantee that the government will be clearing us to work full on x amount of weeks in the future. And if they did, that doesn't make it smart to do. Maybe plan for life to work for the long haul at this time.

Gigi, the 2 weeks of sick leave are under FMLA, not the PPP loan. I'm not required to provide FMLA, but now I am🙄

Gotta pay workers that aren't working, gotta house people not paying rent. What a time we're living in!

Soto, I know, but I think you can use that paycheck protection loan to pay the employees for those two weeks required under the new rules???

Merle, I‘m not sure what led you to think I this will be over in two weeks. This will be with all of us for a very long time whether you are someone that comes down with it or lucky enough escape it. The world as we have known It is about to see changes that we never saw coming.

Tighten your seatbelt.

Last edited:
Okay, so since it won't be over in two weeks, what good will it do to act like we are still keeping employment up for two more weeks?

Will it then be, oh, two or three more? Will it then be, oh, you actually can't go back to doing any non emergency work for 6 months?

My point may not apply to you but it is this, if you have a safety net and reserves because you have planned for life well, I would rather see each person like you come out the other side of this in good shape and ready to build your business again - that is what I see to make our country strong. A person with solid business sense giving away all their reserves seems to be weakening even more.

I'm probably not explaining myself well, and my perspective may be way off anyway.

Wouldn't this "wage reimbursement" give States a small cushion of time to sort out the crush for unemployment claims?

Thanks for expanding on that Merle, I appreciate it. I also want small businesses to come through this and be ready to roll. I’m just trying to navigate, on the business side, what’s required and what is available. It seems to change daily. Heck, just the application alone changed twice in one day.😳

I would imagine some smaller companies might not pay into unemployment, and if they do losing all work and then having more money pulled for unemployment (if you have multiple people laid off you have to pay a higher percentage of taxes) would be devastating.

I would imagine most tree companies don't understand the nuances of this, and would find the increased taxes more than just a nuisance. Larger construction companies know all about this and are already paying the highest rate, so it's nothing for them to lay people off, in fact it's a normal everyday occurrence for most companies. I'll be getting laid off at the end of the job I'm on, hell i was laid off 7 times or so last year. But for a company to have pretty much no payments to having them go up many times over right at the worst time possible, it would be bad, so they passed this.

fmla. E="vharrison, post: 991972, member: 85"]
Soto, I know, but I think you can use that paycheck protection loan to pay the employees for those two weeks required under the new rules???

Merle, I‘m not sure what led you to think I this will be over in two weeks. This will be with all of us for a very long time whether you are someone that comes down with it or lucky enough escape it. The world as we have known It is about to see changes that we never saw coming.

Tighten your seatbelt.
[/QUOTE]
I was told that no, you can not use it for fmla.

Okay, so since it won't be over in two weeks, what good will it do to act like we are still keeping employment up for two more weeks?

Will it then be, oh, two or three more? Will it then be, oh, you actually can't go back to doing any non emergency work for 6 months?

My point may not apply to you but it is this, if you have a safety net and reserves because you have planned for life well, I would rather see each person like you come out the other side of this in good shape and ready to build your business again - that is what I see to make our country strong. A person with solid business sense giving away all their reserves seems to be weakening even more.

I'm probably not explaining myself well, and my perspective may be way off anyway.
Merle, the 2 weeks is fmla, the PPP loan covers 2 months of wages. The idea is to keep employees off unemployment and still have a job when this is through. It puts 2.5 months wages in your bank and if you can keep them through June, you don't owe it back

Ahh, thanks Willie. My wife is the paperwork person. And even her head has been swimming with this stuff. I'll show her your post.

Glad to read you again by the way.

Here goes, with two out for COVID, i am required to pay them each 80 hours. Had this requirement not just been thrown at me in the last few months, like always been required, the expense would be built into my pricing. Even with the idea of a tax credit going forward, i still think it is a crock of crap.

The cost to pay my employees could be a lot. I don't like that. Period, tax credit or not.

Last edited:
Interesting point....building into pricing the possibility (likelihood) that you will be required to, at some point, pay the employee for being sick from Covid....I just twisted my brain!

Good point, Gigi.