EE width climbing boots?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Seems like most of the manufacturers don’t offer even single E. Anyone else have wide feet? What boots did you get? Trying to get out under $300.

Are we talking climbing on rope or spurs? Keen’s, Lowa’s on rope (both under 300 but the Lowa’s are real close if not a touch over) and Viberg Lineman’s on spurs but these are over your budget by a good bit but are tanks and will last many many years. 10.5 EE for me.

I am wearing my Hiax boots today for the first time in a long time. All spur work, no ground work. I normally wear Keen Pittsburgh EE for work. I climbed for about 5.5 hours, BS'ed with the customer for at least an hour. Was trying to keep my bid from seeming exorbitant ($1400 plus tax...efficiency!!).

I'm lazy, I sit in my saddle as much as possible, for some reason. Strange, I know. Working down a spar, I Magic-Cut as much as possible, which is way faster than face-cuts for many folks. If you're really good at matching your face-cut every time, it is marginally faster, IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff guys. Yeah, these will be for spurless climbing. I’ll look up your suggestions. Thanks!
Sean, what’s the magic cut? Is it just the cut straight through from the back towards the front and pushing on the chunk near the end of the cut so it doesn’t pinch your bar?

No!

Again, it's Gord's, not at all mine. Just use the snot out of it.

It's magic. I dump big logs and chunks with it a Lot.

I'm baffled that more people don't use it.

I could have a ground person to pull logs off with a hinge, land the log on top of the rope, fight the rope from under the log while I wait, then pull up two ropes (climb line and pull rope), re-tie, cut another accurate face and hinge, rinse on repeat...

or be on the ground much faster. It doesn't work unless you can undercut the COG. If you need long logs that back-lean, it doesn't work. If you can cut chunks instead of logs, it works b-e-a-u-tifully. I definitely use it for millable logs.

I'll make a video soon. It will possibly be in the tree, and shaky holding my phone while I complete the last cut, but it will do.

Last big tree I used it on was when I was solo on a 150-160' dead doug-fir next to a stream, in a gully. Lots of water to grow. Brought it down to a 40-50' spar that couldn't reach the house. Laid them all down right where I wanted them, as the tree was pretty neutral/ vertical.

@SeanKroll

Wait Sean, is this Magic Cut something ala Murph, where you can only tell us how great it is, and then you'll block it out in the vid due to it's amazingness?...

;)

Seems like most of the manufacturers don’t offer even single E. Anyone else have wide feet? What boots did you get? Trying to get out under $300.
My boss has wide feet. He likes the Redwings loggers. Says they offer wide ones but he hates climbing with a steel toe boot and they don't have em in his size w/o the steel around me right now. Everything's on fucken back order for months. He settled for a pair of Carolinas and paid about 175 I think.

Late to the party, been out slashing today giving the old mf35 some hrs.

I have wide feet, so need 11.5 in AU, or Uk size, or 12.5 US I have some haix size 12 au, and have taken a bit to wear in around my foot, but there getting better, very stiff sole, and great on spurs, but heavy.

Also got some Cofra Power in 11.5 Uk, which took a bit to wear in, sadly they were damaged by a boot/shoe shop, as one side had the leather pinch down onto the edge of the foot when squatting, must have been a leather thing, but they messed up the boot, they were really good before that, apart from pinching on the left boot, ended up being some of the tongue that needed trimming, and then the leather didnt flex and pinch the foot.
live and learn, would not hesitate to recommend the Cofra boots for value for money.

Back