Dowel Round Rollers - How Long?

lxskllr

Treehouser
While cleaning out the old truck I gathered all the fiberglass marker sticks I've found here and there. One was especially thin, and I think it would make a good roller for shoving rounds off a spar, so now's the time to make a set. I'm gonna cut it down, and put a constrictor on the ends which will attach to fishing swivels. How long should I make the dowels?

Bonus question - You think superglue would be sufficient to treat the cut ends, or should I get an epoxy?

3/8ths is max. Mine were 18 and 24"
Never sealed the ends. Round the edges, burn/scorch and sand. I used hot glue on the constrictor knots on the end of the dowel.
I also tried drilling holes for the line. That worked a treat too. But I have a drill press etc for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That occurred to me. If everything goes as intended, I think it'll work fine. Hit it with a saw, or bend a rod over though, and it'll be bad news.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's an interesting idea. I'll have to see if I can dig up my brakeline and give it some thought. Biggest problem I foresee is it getting bent between storage, climbing, and use, but it's easy enough to work with. It only has to last long enough to offset the time it takes to make a new set.

Get stainless so it's harder, if it gets bent bend it back. You can weld a loop on the end, something as simple as a washer even for a lanyard. Round bar would work too, so would all thread, which you can find scaps of on jobs pretty easily too.

Back