Do the best you can?

Treeaddict

Treehouser
Had a situation where at a fork there was decay on one limb and deadwood with fruiting bodies on the other. If the entire limb was smaller( 3-4”), I’d have cut it back to the main stem. I felt that in a mature tree the possibility of introducing decay into the trunk was too great. So, I made a heading cut (I believe that is the correct terminology). Of course it will now sprout out with suckers. Was this a proper course of action and is my thought
process correct? The whole reason to be in the tree (besides the love of being in the tree) was to make it safe for kids underneath as well as weight reduction to reduce storm failure.

Attachments

• 0CFC471C-2E2F-43BB-8C64-6367977A63AE.jpeg
    0CFC471C-2E2F-43BB-8C64-6367977A63AE.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 27
  • E9B96890-0E5C-4553-9DD6-FBAF95DA3921.jpeg
    E9B96890-0E5C-4553-9DD6-FBAF95DA3921.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 27
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Prunus serotina (black cherry). Mature tree. Approx 8” at connection to trunk. There is visible branch collar and branch bark ridge. Didn’t want to take it to trunk to avoid such a large wound so close to trunk where decay could be introduced

Cherries can be a mixed bag as far as compartmentalization is concerned. I’ve seen both where they seal over quickly and others not so much. Is the tree reasonably vigorous and healthy? I also know of a cherry tree that is hollow and has been for the past 34 years.

I think she’s doing good for her age. I’d equate it to a 65 year old human in reasonable shape without glaring health issues. Only structural issue is co dom- reason for weight reduction.

I would have cut that limb back to the trunk. It’s unlikely that the stub will sprout growth with strong branch unions, so I would think a cut back to the trunk would be a better choice

That’s what I think John. I’m curious to see what it does over the next few years. May be a mess of epicormic shoots? Maybe just a few? If the tree was 30yrs younger I’d probably not have any issue going back to the trunk.

One thing I’ve noticed though is a frequent and substantial difference between university/book taught principals (vary conservative) and field practice (most anything goes).

Yes, either an epicormic mess or a dead stub. It's hard to tell in advance. The tree can try to restore what she lost, or judges that investing again in this part doesn't worth it, considering the major difference in supply from the remaing crown.

Back