Dielectric climbing helmet

treebilly

Student of the Jedi. OH-7106A
Just looking for some insight on climbing helmets that are suited for line clearance work. I'm not around power a lot but figure I should be wearing the right one when I am.

Also, don't wear a sponge soaked in a saline solution under your helmet.

Also, don't wear a sponge soaked in a saline solution under your helmet.

"The brain feels numb. Bright lights dance and flash. Your head feels abnormally large. A heavy weight appears to bear down on your head. You feel as if you were treading on air, with everything around you a blank. You are alone--the only being, the only object, the only tangible thing in the universe. You gradually sink into insensibility."[11]
Harry L. Tyler

Some of the general info from ANSI Z89.1

Z89.1-1997 also changed the alpha designations for the classes of electrical performance.

Class G (General) Helmets - This Is Equivalent To The Old Class A. Class G Helmets Are Proof Tested At 2,200 Volts.
Class E (Electrical) Helmets - This Is Equivalent To The Old Class B. Class E Helmets Are Proof Tested At 20,000 Volts.
Class C (Conductive) Helmets - This Class Provides No Electrical Insulation; The Alpha Designation Did Not Change From The Old Standard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. I'm gonna have to check on Treestuff to see which ones are acceptable. I'm hoping that I can find one that won't be to bad. I also need to pick another climbing helmet that the com system will be installed on. Not sure if the coms are able to be worn in proximity to power

"The brain feels numb. Bright lights dance and flash. Your head feels abnormally large. A heavy weight appears to bear down on your head. You feel as if you were treading on air, with everything around you a blank. You are alone--the only being, the only object, the only tangible thing in the universe. You gradually sink into insensibility."[11]
Harry L. Tyler

Uhhh... Harry L. Tyler.... Uhhh: Sorry Pelorus... I'm afraid that your quote was lost (at least to an inbred head). Who the deuce was Harry L. Tyler, and why did you quote him. Was he actually referring to the effects of electrocution?

Tyler was indeed referring to the nasty business of getting electrocuted. As a co-inventor of the electric chair, he had a vested interest in electrical conduction.
He tested the electric chair on himself... which sounds a bit bizarre; kinda like an arborist deliberately cutting their climbing line or nicking themself with a chainsaw to see what the experience feels like.

He used a reduced power setting, far as I remember.

I couldn't remember the name, but I recognized the quote, neat that you caught on to what my post was about.

If he quotes the experience afterward, I'm willing to bet one of my kidneys that he used a reduced power setting.

I remembered watching the movie The Green Mile when you mentioned the saline soaked sponge, Stig!

Back