Deutz Diesel Blues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fuel cuttoff was a little sticky , hit it with powerlube ... Not completely sure it isn't the problem

So the lever goes to a Solenoid ? There's a little one next to the fuel pump. Wonder how to check it's function , override it ( disconnect) and try again ?

I can text you the number of the guy who troubleshot it over the phone He was excellent

I aint know for sure, he troubleshot it over the phone with my mechanic

When you turn the key on, the fuel solenoid should make a very audible click, and if you notice the position before and after, it should be noticeably different. On a diesel, the only way to kill the engine is to cut the fuel, so any problems with the fuel solenoid is a bad thing. You can also break a fuel line fitting loose and crank it, and you should be getting fuel spraying. Often if you ran out of fuel, had a broken fuel line, or even if it's sat for too long, it may just need to be primed, which can usually be done with the manual priming pump on the side of the injector pump.

I have a button my Deutz that I was told is the "oil bypass" switch...I have to hold it down while I turn the engine over...it has acted up before (wire was loose as I remember...connected back and fired right up).

I'm just a talking monkey that repeats what I have been told most times...I don't always understand the words that come out of my mouth.

Exactly, a Murphy switch kills the engine if a certain operating condition isn't met, either oil pressure, overheating, etc. An oil pressure one comes with a bypass button because it has to crank a few times to build pressure, and it's easier on the starter to bypass it rather than building it up with the starting system. I have one on my welder, you literally just have to barely bump the starter and it will fire up, so the bypass is quite welcome. On another note some (maybe all?) magneto ignitions fire when you let off the starter button, so short crank times actually work better because they don't fire until you stop cranking. The ones used on my welder are like that, likely because they come from a time when they were designed to be hand cranked, as a type of safety to not break your arm.

It's not all of them, and very few things have actual mags anymore, it's usually distributor anymore.

Smaller Air Cooled Diesel , Zero Priming Pump , Zero Oil Pressure Bypass. There is a fuel cut off lever for shut downs. Have gone through fuel system to purge any air from several points. Fuel all the way , but not at the injectors

Seemingly No .... not exactly sure how the Solenoid/ Lever cutoff works as the fuel pump is mechanical

One way it shuts off fuel, usually at rest. The solenoid contracts, pulling the lever to the position to let fuel flow. Is it moving freely when you turn the key to run?

Other way around , the lever is springed in run position. To kill the motor idle down then depress lever and hold for a few seconds,

The solenoid should be set up to close fuel on power loss, otherwise you have a runaway engine. If it's working then it's not the problem. I would imagine the fuel solenoid is upstream of the high pressure pump, so it should be easy to check. I also imagine it has a mechanical pump, which are fairly bulletproof. Not saying they never have problems, but i haven't had to do one yet. There also almost has to have a manual priming pump, I've never seen one without one until they have both a low pressure and a high pressure pump. A redneck way to get around using the manual pump is to splice in a 12 volt pump right by the gas tank, so that will pressurize the lines for you, so you don't need to pump the damn thing a million times :/:

Back