Crane slings

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Lately I switched from wire chokers with a clevis/shackle to polyester round sling with the same clevis. The polyester is nice, it's not kinky like the wire. Now I want to get a hook for the sling instead of the clevis, anybody using one they'd recommend?

I know Paul uses chains but i"m not there yet

@cory. I’ve been thinking about those also. I talked to Steve Connally about them. He said they’re not idiot proof so he doesn’t have them anymore. Guys can set them up wrong and load the gate. I think they would work great if guys can be trained to use properly

I preferred steel wire chokers for the vast majority of my crane removals, and only resorted to synthetic slings when in proximity to high voltage, as an insulation safeguard for the CO.

Steel doesn't lie or store energy like both polyester n nylon slings.

Jomo

@cory. I’ve been thinking about those also. I talked to Steve Connally about them. He said they’re not idiot proof so he doesn’t have them anymore. Guys can set them up wrong and load the gate. I think they would work great if guys can be trained to use properly

My crane operator feels the same way and doesn't trust them.

I've used Gunnebo Hooks before with another operator and as long as you load them properly (and not against the gate) and always back them up with another one, we didn't have any issues.

Gunnebo Hooks from Westech Rigging Supply

I presume you are talking logging type chokers? How did you get past “not for over head lifting”?

Serious rigging requires a steel clevis, condoned for overhead rigging etc.

But the bell n ball quick connect used by myself n many others is far faster if configured correctly. Not being idiot proof is why it's not rated for overhead use by OSHA, etc.

Jomo

I use lengths of dynema with an eye in one end. Two 8m and two 6m. I will daisychain one of them and leave it in the hook, whilst 3 dangle freely.

I like the ability of being able to cinch them up with a half hitch and the are just a dream to handle compared to either wire rope or chains . The latter I despise using for limbs.

We use a company out of Miami, Certified Slings 1-800-486-5542. I‘m sure they would be spot on recommending something safe and reliable. If they don’t ship, let me know and next time we go to the mainland, we can pick it up for you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow, very kind of you, thank you.

My crane guy ordered me the gunnebo hook noted above, I'll give it a review after first use

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bump.

Hooks are a Massive time saver. Yes, know how to load them.

We use the Gunnebo chain and hooks from Westech that Chris linked above. We have slings with shackles that are on the crane as well, but they still look brand new because I can't find a good time to use them. Maybe lifting the stump grinder or some other machine. The chains are the go to. Here is a good honker from the other day with the chains. 2023-06-28 13.19.49.jpg

Last edited:
ive always wondered about chain slings

theoretically someone I know uses 1/2" stablebraid with a 10" eye in one end and a rope snap spliced onto the other, like reons slings
he uses those for balancers are uses a 6K 20ft round sling for the main supporting sling

ive heard chain bites into the wood wicked tight, and last longer than rope

is it worse for a climber to fumble with? debating between chain and buying a set of pre made rope slings, the price isnt all that different

I have multiple sling shops in town, I might go check them out

ive always wondered about chain slings

theoretically someone I know uses 1/2" stablebraid with a 10" eye in one end and a rope snap spliced onto the other, like reons slings
he uses those for balancers are uses a 6K 20ft round sling for the main supporting sling

ive heard chain bites into the wood wicked tight, and last longer than rope

is it worse for a climber to fumble with? debating between chain and buying a set of pre made rope slings, the price isnt all that different

I have multiple sling shops in town, I might go check them out
Bump.
Interested for feedback, myself.

Back