Compensating Employees for work they bring in...

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
My employee has a job he was wanting to do for his fiance's aunt. He's not really equiped to do it. Drop and Leave type.

Suppose the aunt were to put down 8 benjamins, how much would you say is fair, above normal compensation, to flip him?

Same employee might have brought in a property manager, who's maintenance man is Gary's friend. Property Manager knows I lived in her neighborhood, but hasn't sent work my way. If work comes in over time, through this property manager, what is fair, there?

It all depends on how you feel about this stuff and your employee.

Usually, it's an 'either-or' situation...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was thinking 10% for this one job.

The other...

Butch, I don't follow you. Would you expand? Either-Or...

I've had employers who'd let me use their gear for my side jobs and I've had ones who would fire me for that.

I think I went off on a tangent...

derp

I get you MB. I let Mike use some of my kit to make some extra money to feed his kids and pay his bills. He sends work to me. No need for commission.

I agree with a noble %10,anticipated upon submission of the bid and theres no surprise=0 issue

Depends on the situation.
I usually say a flat 100$ fee ( Actually comes to a bit less since it is 500 of the wooden nickles we use here: Kroner)
But I let apprentices bid their own jobs, like if their uncle has a tree, and then let them " rent" the company for whatever they know we cost a day.
Just like I let them use equipment for a fee, to do their own little moonlighting jobs ( If it becomes too much, we'll talk it over)

That is a VERY good way for them to learn pricing. Martin, our last one got himself badly burned twice on his own jobs and ended up working days for free to complete them.
But he eventually got so precise that I could and have sent him and another out to price and do jobs, where I've never even seen the job, just had clients call to compliment me on those two super professional, clean cut guys that "I sent out".

It is a bit different for us,I know, since we constantly try to teach these people how to do every aspect of the job.

I let my guys work on weekends for a few reasons: 1. They make extra cash, which keeps them happy. 2. They realise how hard the business side of things are: underbidding, dealing with the clients, not getting paid. 3. They usually pick up jobs that I don't really want anyway, small work, cheap clients, leave everything kind of work.

If they refer me to a larger client, I don't give them anything except a good ol thumbs up. But that hasn't happened often. Also, I think I like giving guys climbing gear instead of cash as compensation and they also seem to like that. Buy them the lastest gizmo that they can brag about to other climbers. Makes our company look «cool» to outsiders and keeps the job fresh, less monotonous.

For employees bringing in work, 10% is pretty standard in these parts. If someone brought in a ten thousand dollar job, I think 5% would be sufficient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gary would have been way over his head on this removal. WAY. I told him $1650 green and we'd chip so he doesn't have to burn the 2" under, in his neighborhood, and so we can have room to work. Stack logs neatly enough for him to process easily, while getting them out of our way. Three guys working together will have a lot more luck than Gary

Old man is 80, looks like a healthy 60. He did all the clean-up on the initial pruning of the tree a couple years ago. Said some 'kids' came by to ask if they could split the wood for him for money. He said he needed the exercise and it kept him going.

Back