Climbing Buildings

Bodean

Cali dreamer
This window guy approached me for a job.
$600 to belay down a building and screw in these 5 predrilled sheets (lowered from above with suction cups) of plexiglass over these windows....bag of self tapping screws and a makita.

I'm thinking no problem.

Here are my tie-ins....I think. They run around the roof perimeter every so often....so I'm assuming.

Here's the bend over the side....
What kind of Chafe protection and tie-in does one officially use? I'm thinking wrapping both ropes in army blankets and use a friction saver for the tie in.

Tell me if I'm being stupid too, if that's the case.

574f102b500b9c6f1e51ac18ca60b118.jpg

0585530a357cf7bb700944c1f61ec1c2.jpg

Sections of fire hose are easy enough to come by for chafe guard too. If a person was being official and wanted to take a little time ordering there is some amazing metal mesh chafe guard I have seen pictures of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. And Yes!

I'm thinking two separate tufflex slings girth ed and half hitched with steel carribiners for each of the two redundant ropes.....though same anchor.

Then like you said Merle, some hose/chafe guard duct taped or just trapped under it. Figure I'd go with two SRT devices...

Anyway. I don't wanna turn work down.

Peter. That looks like a great cataloug. Browsing!

If you talk with them, mention Peter the tree climber from Brantford sent you. He may remember, they also have a youtube page.

for rock climbing, we usually use a section of nylon webbing, with the ends heat sealed open, and run the rope through the webbing. That is usually done with one section, and a figure eight tied in the rope with the webbing on it, and biners in the loop after the 8 as a toprope anchor. That configuration makes it quite sketchy to get over the edge so it might be that helpful, but the webbing as a stationary chafe guard can still be useful. As long as someone is there to lower the panels to you, I would run a single srt with ample chafe guard, either webbing, blankets, the one linked above, or a combo. The other person can set the chafe guard for you as you go over the edge and monitor your rope to be sure it stays on the guard. If you aren't sure about trusting that person, then run 2 ropes as you said. Depending on the srt devices you have on hand that might get tricky, which is why I would prefer to run 1, but that's a pretty personal decision.
Looks like a pretty cool job, I'd take it if it were offered to me. Have fun!

For me I would use a CMI edge roller thingy. Chafe sleeves would probably work but your rope is running over metal and any little bur could be bad ju ju.

Yes. Branching out. Kinda strange looking over a building for reasons other than the view.

Raj, the edge is aluminum, so probably able to be dented maybe. Good point. I'm leaning towards a fat army blanket roll.

I watched so much youtube last night about irata anchors etc. Pretty cool. Steel everything.

I'll check out the edge roller.

I did some not too dissimilar stuff over the years, mostly on fire towers or microwave towers...cliff edges, too. The rolled blanket or a length of firehose was my go-to solution. I never had a problem with wear, even on some pretty abrasive edges.

Those stand pipes look very substantial, but I'd try to make sure they weren't just fastened down at rooftop level some way. They ought to run down some good length into the structure and be well attached below, before I'd hang my azz on them.

Most of the IRATA guys I know run with two lifelines. They tend to charge a fair bit more per day for their services.

Sounds a cool gig and I don't mean to piss on your bonfire, but I would be asking my why he has approached you and not an IRATA company?

Maybe they want a lot more, so he has dangled 600$ worth of carrot in front of you. Whereas, a firm working to IRATA levels may want 2000 carrots worth.

How would your u stand with PL insurance and OSHA if something's bad were to happen.

Just playing devils advocate. I would probably do the job but get mates doing IRATA to help as in the UK you would need supervisors (L2) and managers (L3) to plan safety and sign it off. So say a L3 in the UK may be 350 - 500 per day, L2 on 250 per day and a L1 technician on 150-180 per day. So we are already at over 900 gbp.

Food for thought... Charge more.;)

If he offer $600, he'll pay $1000 maybe.

More than one anchor point.

I would definitely back up the plexiglass' suction cups. Pull up from below, so it can't be dropped onto you from above.

Those stand pipes look very substantial, but I'd try to make sure they weren't just fastened down at rooftop level some way. They ought to run down some good length into the structure and be well attached below, before I'd hang my azz on them.

Excuse my ignorance but are those things dedicated tie in points?

It would appear so...but I'm ignorant of the specifics of their installation, as we all are. So I'd want to know more, if it were me.

Likewise here Burnham, I was mainly asking as I've never seen what they can look like....

My friend runs a business doing mainly high rise window cleaning- I'm pretty sure they need to be in survey as well.

I'm thinking....this may be a bit out of my scope.

Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

Also, I have a lot of work going on.

Thinking TRAQ certified is worth more than this job.

...and the guy ain't called back....I got his number though.

Some random guys watching your rope...I feel I'd want my buddy with a gun guarding it.

Just don't feel right....for me.

He shows up to show me the job with a bosun attachment to show me what he saw someone use 20 years ago....I was like hmmmmmm.....

Honestly....Just a gut thing.
Don't feel right and it sure as hell ain't my best day rate ever.

Peter, never heard that....good one.

Yeah Chris. He makes and sells windows.....and dabbles in some building repair stuff.

I'm curious, but not ready to jump outside my scope over the edge yet by myself.

Back