City of Boston

OTGBOSTON

punk in drublic
This job is not officially posted yet but I want to get it out there asap. One of my general foremen is leaving in October, hopefully they'll let me replace him.

Most imprtant thing is being a resident of Boston at time of hire.

Job pays 50-60k, 2 weeks vaca, 13 paid holidays, 4 personal days, and acrued sick time. Union (AFSCME local 804)

I'm basically looking for someone with good bucket skills who can lead a crew if necessary but will be primarily responsible for inspecting trees and maintaing our gis based tree inventory system. Strong computer skills are a must.

official posting to follow.

If interested please contact me (Greg Mosman) at 617-635-7275

Jeez, I just found an extra case of Jameson's and Guiness in my basement and a box of Monte Cristos in my closet. Maybe I'm a shoe in.:lol::lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bump

City Arborist / General Foreman
Date: 2009-09-15, 10:02AM

CITY OF BOSTON PARKS AND RECREATION DEPARTMENT
Job Title: City Arborist / Tree Crews General Foreman
Starting Salary $50,000+ per year, commensurate with training and experience. This is a full time position (40 hrs/week).
Responsibilities:
* Managing in house and contracted tree crews
* Completing routine and emergency tree work as needed
* Responsible for the administration and quality control of multiple Tree maintance contracts
* Strong organization skills.
* Maintaining a GIS based tree inventory
* Responding to constituent calls and work requests
Minimum Qualifications:
* Bachelor's degree in Urban Forestry, Arboriculture, Environmental Science/Ecology, or closely related field
* A combination of education and minimum 3 years related work experience may be substituted for a degree.
* Knowledge of urban forestry / arboriculture management practices
* Excellent communication and public relations skills
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, Word)
* Valid MA drivers license
* Boston City Residency
Preferred Qualifications:
• GIS training and experience, prefered ArcGIS software experience
• Certified Arborist (state or ISA)
• Experience with contractors' work practices
• In field tree work / bucket truck Experience
• Ability to read and interpret landscape plans, GIS maps, etc. as needed to assist developers and to manage urban forestry projects and programs
• Ability to identify problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
This is a preliminary job search as the result of the planned vacation of the position at the end of October.

The ideal candidate must send a resume & cover letter, including past experience & 3 references to:
Boston Parks and Recreation
Attn: Greg Mosman
1010 Massachusetts ave.
Boston, MA 02118
or email:
gmosman@ci.boston.ma.us
If you have any questions, please call 617-635-7275

we put that exact description on craigs list, because the tree sites aren't really generating much interest.

The people replying to the CL add are severely dillusional (so far) accountants, recent college grads, a guy who called me and listed seventeen degrees...none of which are in a related field, who then proceeded to tell me he thought he could probably just take and pass a CA exam....

The kid who is leaving and I don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, he thinks we need a computer geek, I want a solid treeguy. With the way the economy is I was hoping to get someone really good...:cry:

If I were still in MA I would probably go get my CA just for the job.. Stress would probably kill me... But if you could make it a couple years it would sure open other doors...

Stress would probably kill me... But if you could make it a couple years it would sure open other doors...

Nah...dealing with stress is my job, this job is like being my assistant.

The kid leaving is moving to Seattle because his wife is doing her post doctorate work at UW, I'm sure he'll find something decent for work.

Prior to that we had a woman from upstate NY who was just phenomonal at the inspecting/office stuff, so much so we overlooked her lack of field skills. She ended up getting married and moving back home and now works for a forestry division of Davey I believe.

I'd apply but then my family and grandkids would be 3K miles away. Good thing is I could tell my New York cousins that the Yankees suck! Course I do that already.

I am sure you do need somewhat of a computer geek with GIS work involved.

Problem is that it is very hard to find a solid treeman with a bachelor's in forestry, etc. When you do they are a PITA :D

:lol:

Back