Chips sticking in chip box

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
So Nick's thread got me thinking about a problem we've been having. After a load or two of chips in our truck, we'll get anywhere from 1-3 yards of chips that stick together and cling to the floor at the very front of the chip box. We end up going in there with a shovel and breaking it all apart.

Any ideas how to prevent this and why it happens? We've had chip loads freeze in winter, but this is summer. Maybe a new coat of paint or something on the chip box floor?

Tell your guys to stop pissing in the corners and to spread it around more, instead. Normal instinct is to piss in a corner. :drink:

you can buy super slippery paint, Ive been told it works wonders. As Butch says pissing in the back as we all do compounds the problem as it causes corosion which causes the paint to flake and gives the chips better adhesion. So yes pressure wash and paint.....

Where do you go?

lol, I was thinking the same thing.

There's someone in ours once every few hours. Butch is right too, it really is always in the corners. I think we just hit the corners thinking we're doing a better job hiding.

We just use two 8foot long poles together and keep the box up and just stab the remaining chips, they fall out pretty easy takes only 30sec or so.

jp:D

Used motor oil, paint the interior all about.

Piss in the woods instead of our vehicles, that's what we always did :D.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where do you go?

Believe it or not I rarely have to go. I rarely need to till the end of the day. Dad will go every now and then. Plus, a good bit of our work is horse farms, so a good bit of the time if someone has to go they step beside a truck and go about it, since we're in the middle of a huge field or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adrian, I know it must be a lame question, but first things first, are you moving the truck forward a little when unloading? Lurching forward isn't acceptable as a solution, due to possible damage.

We just use two 8foot long poles together and keep the box up and just stab the remaining chips, they fall out pretty easy takes only 30sec or so.

jp:D
Noonan tricks!

I had a truck that didn't tip high enough and I epoxied a thin sheet of UHMW across the first 3 feet of the bed, problem solved

here in az, my load sticks most all the damned time, the stuffs all cooked into a steaming, white cube
and I don't piss in my truck, since theres a bathroom within walking distance everywhere on campus

and B , I miss the woods, this all things sharp and poky, back stabbing snake in the grass public service work, is nowhere as much fun as the woods, its guaranteed work, but mildly irritating

In my logging days, I saw entire chip van loads of chips froze. THAT, is a bad scene. The tractor trailer goes up on the tipper to be dumped out, and nothing but a handful of chips falls out. That's a lot of digging to free up a 45 foot chip van. The company I worked for never left the trailers full of chips over night, so I never dealt with it first hand, but at the pulp mill you'd see someone dealing with it and they were usually VERY unhappy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good to read ya again Squish!

Damn Chris, that's crazy. We've had 15 yards or so freeze in ours, dad and I were back there with shovels for awhile.

I'm wondering if it's the heat cooking them that makes it stick Dave. The 1-3 yards that stick always appear slightly decomposed, guess those have been cooking the longest.

Digging 45 yds of frozen chips?? You'd see God

I do so many removals my chips don't really get a chance to cook. That and my dump spot is on the way to and from town. No gates or scales

No doubt! It's exclusive too because I run sharp and don't throw in any wood or
Garbage. Unlimited quantity.

Back