Chipper Clutch Adjustment

brendonv

Tree Hugger
Well, I'm pushing 300 hours now :lol:, so I want to make sure the clutch is still in spec.

Can anyone walk be through the adjustment procedure for this clutch? The manual doesn't say so.

Attachments

• DSC00223.jpg
    DSC00223.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It doesn't have the snap in engagement it used to. Should be around 100-108 ft/lbs. Need to get my buddies socket to see where it's engaging now, but I'll need to know for the future anyways.

On the Woodchuck, there was no actual clutch adjustment. There was just a free play spec on the handle linkage. The clutch was the same as on a pickup, no internal adjustment like a big rig type clutch. Can you google the model of the PTO and see if there is a manual for it online?

The machine should have come with a PTO manual, which should walk you through the adjustment procedure.

Pull that cover off and let's see what it looks like inside. On all of my chippers, it's always been a large ring that must be turned a few notches and then locked in place, either with a bolt/bracket or a spring-loaded pin.

Are there any instructions on the cover plate?

No instructions, just the torque.

I phoned NACD, the Woodsman manual says refer to Clutch Manufacturer. I have the engine manual, never got the clutch.

Hopefully they can supply me with a PDF file or something, gotta wait till tomorrow to hear back.

I believe your right about that though, Brett.

Hmmmm. when I bought my chipper, the PTO manual was far more informative than the engine or machine manual. Very surprised you didnt get one

Pop the cover off. Push the pin and move the wheel a few notches with a hammer and screwdriver. Test for your "snap". Should take all of 1 minute.

Yep, they sent me a PDF of the manual today.

Remove lock, rotate counter clock wise. Woo hoo, gotta grab Gregs torque wrench.

Pop the cover off. Push the pin and move the wheel a few notches with a hammer and screwdriver. Test for your "snap". Should take all of 1 minute.

Word.

it's always been a large ring that must be turned a few notches and then locked in place, either with a bolt/bracket or a spring-loaded pin.

Yup. Yours should have a rocker pin at the top of the ring. You should only need to move the ring a notch or two (and you probably won't need the hammer and screwdriver)

I haven't seen this praticular set up but the proceedure sounds about the same as a pony clutch on an older Caterpilar .

Back