Chip truck questions

Nutball

TreeHouser
Why do the old chip trucks have an electric brake motor and alarms for it? What's up with all that?

Also, what can be done about a leaky dump cylinder seal (other than the obvious costly repair), it leaks with about a throw line diameter stream pouring out. What are the chances of a major blow out?

Chances of blow out depends on inner or outer seal. The repair only costs the seal and packing. Pull the ram, take it to a shop and stay safe, it's priceless! If you engine dies you will have no vacuum which is the conventional means of brake boosting in a gasoline engine vehicle. The electric pump is necessary on diesel engines that have forced induction (turbo) and no manifold vacuum. If you have a gas engine with an electric brake booster it's because of the designed weight rating. If you had air brakes none of this would matter you would have s cams and slack adjusters for safety.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone probably knows that hydraulic leaks are checked by other means than running a hand in front of the fluid - can have high pressure injection into the blood stream.
I'm not sure what the purpose of this response is. I said I observed how bad the leak was as I saw it pouring out. I talked to the boss when I saw it, he didn't seem to think much of it. If it was mine it would get fixed if it had 1/10 that amount leaking.

IMO any hydraulic leak needs to be addressed. A small drip can be dealt with in the next week or so but any leak needs to be examined to determine the issue and to assess the risk of continuing to work it. If it's safe I will finish the day and address it after work. I try not to take equipment out to a job with a known major leak.

Everyone probably knows that hydraulic leaks are checked by other means than running a hand in front of the fluid - can have high pressure injection into the blood stream.
It will get into tissue for sure, and result in gangrene or something terrible.

My stump sub, new to machines and stumping, didn't want to believe me at first about the dangers of extreme pressure of hot oil entering your body.
He caught on, the easy way, thankfully.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this response is. I said I observed how bad the leak was as I saw it pouring out. I talked to the boss when I saw it, he didn't seem to think much of it. If it was mine it would get fixed if it had 1/10 that amount leaking.

It was just a safety reminder that hydraulic oil can cause amputations very very easily.

Absolutely no reflection on you. I always think of the person new to a topic (hydraulic leaks here) who doesn't know a basic danger. Your topic might save someone newer to the game a world of hurt.

An client and friend of mine once told me they had to start having each person renting airless paint sprayers from his paint stores sign a waiver. Someone finished off the gear clean up process by spraying paint thinner across his hands and lost a few fingers to surgery.

OK,
If it's not your equipment, that changes things... AND FYI it's unlikely that the hydraulic oil in a dump truck will ever get hot.

If the boss won't fix it, I'd be looking for another job.

Absolutely no reflection on you. I always think of the person new to a topic (hydraulic leaks here) who doesn't know a basic danger. Your topic might save someone newer to the game a world of hurt.

An client and friend of mine once told me they had to start having each person renting airless paint sprayers from his paint stores sign a waiver. Someone finished off the gear clean up process by spraying paint thinner across his hands and lost a few fingers to surgery.
Ok, and yeah, I had no idea how dangerous paint thinner and hydraulic oil are.

Hell even a pressure washer will do the same thing to you. It's the psi. Wayyyyyyyyyy back in the day they used to check for high pressure steam leaks with a broom, because at that pressure, you can't even see it. It would cut the bristles off like a laser. It will cut a flange face like a waterjet did it, absolutely insane to see. The pressure of the hydraulics/ water/ paint will inject it deep into tissue, causing all sorts of damage.

Why do the old chip trucks have an electric brake motor and alarms for it? What's up with all that?

Also, what can be done about a leaky dump cylinder seal (other than the obvious costly repair), it leaks with about a throw line diameter stream pouring out. What are the chances of a major blow out?
Short answer is there are no cheap easy fixes with hydro. Proper repairs are the only way.

A high presure spill with the diameter of a thowline means a lot of oil dumped, maybe on a nice brand new concrete driveway to make it more interesting.:dontknow:
That should make the cylinder repair not so costly after all.:/:

Having said that, there's a difference between getting good parts and getting raped too. If you know what you're doing and how to order generic parts rather then always going through a dealer or hydraulic store you can save a fortune.

I'm not working for them anymore. Their business was unstable. The pay was good, but they'd rather trade me out for one person who will work every day for less. A risk in my opinion considering the kind of person they'd be loosing is not easy to find from what I've heard. But it wasn't a very nice setup either. I think the good pay is what made me decide to stay in the first place.

Money is only 50% motivation for me at best. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too detached for unmotivated by it. I value a good fit and the proper use of my potential.

Hey I'm just putting this out there for people to read and send back good vibes and help make this come true. 2002 F450 7.3L, 12' frame, 6spd manual, 4×4, radius arm coil sprung front end. I have been in contact with the seller it's just sporadic contact because he travels for work. I have everything else that I need to make this truck work for me. Here's to lady luck being on my side 🤞

Back