Changing roles.

Danthetree1

Treehouser
Hey folks,
I hope y'all are doing great today. As some of you know I have been put in a managers position at work recently. (Monday Dec 14 2020). I have been a climber crew lead for almost 18 years. Really this change seems to have come over night. I hired three new guys. I haven't hired anyone before. Usually all of that has been someone else.

This is almost a bit overwhelming at the moment. Another thing that I have to work on is stepping back, and letting one of my guys do. He is a little new. I know he needs do to learn. The other man I just hired has experience. After his second day I let him cut.

I don't want to "feel" like I'm not doing anything and be that guy that seems just to sit in the truck, or be awal. I definitely don't want to lose my edge.

This is going to take me some big adjustments. We have two bucket trucks, 55 yard loader, 45 ton 127 crane, and a mini. I guess I need to keep the work in front of em.

Thanks for reading the ramblings of a dude in transition. I hope y'all have an awesome day.

Congrats on the new position! Just be "The Old Guy" that shows up and kicks ass coming out of the shadows. Tight lay? No problem. Big nasty mofo? No problem. Cutting up some hawthorn or other treemans nightmare? Meh, they can do that shit.

Congratulations! You know what it takes better than anyone on the job or they would not have put you in the position. Just make it happen. Easy peasy, you got this. Go with your gut keeping the safety of your men # 1.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Both of my original ground guys have to change rolls too. I can tell they have been paying attention the last two years. I'm feeling blessed today.

Attachments

• 20201218_100843.jpg
    20201218_100843.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
Give yourself permission to be a leader...to learn to be a leader. Leaders don't do the stuff they used to do. You learned groundwork, climbing, cutting, how to listen to equipment and know if something is amiss; how to stage gear and equipment, workflow. You have done it...others are now learning to do that stuff. Let them learn while you oversee. Leaders THINK, look ahead, keep their guys out of trouble as much as possible. Your guys can certainly get themselves in trouble, even if you are telling/showing them how not to. When in doubt make that safety call; put the kibosh on something before it goes bad.

It is a big deal to just stop, look and listen to situations...being in action constantly keeps you from seeing the big picture. As boss you are responsible for the big picture. You have, hopefully, developed a tiger eye...to see, analyze, plan then move. Tigers and leopards spend very little time actually in action...but observing and setting up a situation they spend a lot of time.

Safety of self, others and equipment is your primary duty...efficient accomplishment of task is next. Being down and dirty in the trenches keeps you away from the overall picture. You don't have to look busy to be busy. Anybody on your team that does not understand that and thinks you are loafing....they aren't "there" yet. Enjoy.

Seems like we might be in the same boat. I thought I had my business sold but it is starting to look less likely . Trying to figure out how to hire someone to replace me on the job site and just manage...

And to add to Gary's (pantheraba) post leaders lead, bosses dictate. Don't be a boss, be a leader. Your men will follow a leader not a boss even tho you are in a position to dictate. Make sense?
Also to add to RIch's post (treebilly) "heavy lies the crown"

705px-Damocles-WestallPC20080120-8842A.jpg

Back