Changes in Education

Fiddler

Treehouser
Recently, some schools have simply closed, some attempted continuing with online methods, etc. I've been running across lots of teachers complaining about the new system they are dealing with. Mostly that it is more time consuming.

Online classes took some getting used to when I took them in college, but much of the time I found it to be a better way to take classes. There is also a push by the current Sec of Ed to starve public schooling in favor of private/satellite schools (many of which she has financial interests in).

I'd be interested in reading some opinions on the possibilities or extent to which we may change our education system once things blow over and the results of successes & failures are in.

A touch of some of my random thoughts in a discussion with a teacher and a few other taxpayers.

I'd think the sudden change and disorganisation in early application would be causing most of the time consumption. In the long run, pre-recorded lectures & lessons, auto-grading of all but essays, etc. could save much time. Also, less nursing, secretarial, admin personnel, and less brickfront consumption (heat,light, cooling, repair, etc.) and privatisation of extracurricular activities (4H, little league, rocket football, art/music camps, programs & gatherings) should save great amounts of money, as should digitisation of instructional materials.

I no longer have a bone in this game but I would have to say, I think we are going to see a lot of things change after this covid crud passes. It is going to interesting to watch.

John and I were talking about the elementary children that are now at home learning. A lot of parents are home helping them because they are out of work for the moment but what happens when we open back up? Those parents are going to need those children back in a physical school, if for no other obvious reason, for supervised care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good point...but I'd just as soon they paid for their own supervised care as having me pay for it.
If you can afford the auto you should be able to afford the gas. insurance & maintenance.
Part of the cost of children is someone's time for their supervision, and education.
Health insurance for children is also subsidised by high premiums of childless people.
I must admit, the more I age the less I support the "takes a village to financially support a child" theme we live under.

Last edited:
Homeschooling's not so bad. Of course, it depends on the kid. Some are more motivated than others. Every one of my kids was homeschooled at some point in their academic career. Two of them did K through 12 as home schoolers; one is a licensed architect and the other is taking a year off to save up for law school. My youngest is doing the online thing now. She has one more year of high school after this.

Fiddler, I don’t like the “village” idea when implemented by the government but I do support public education K-12. An educated society is a wise use of my tax dollars. A little harder to stomach now that my children are grown but wise none the less.

I agree...kind of a necessary evil. I'd just like to see it done somehow to cost me less. remote schooling seems possibly far less costly.

Having been a curmudgeon for a several years I am now working on skinflint...

Half of my property taxes go to the school. I wouldn't mind paying but the idiots in charge are, well, idiots in charge and waste money like it's air.

Property taxes are a peeve of mine. Those should be illegal.

Been thinking about this thread since I saw it. A lot of stuff can be done online, but a lot of it would be sub optimal-impossible to do remotely. Remote learning is also better suited to motivated old people(20yr+) than kids. So, we're talking about a hybrid system at the best. Remote learning part of the time, on site the rest. I'm not seeing a lot money savings here.

Motivation would be a parents responsibility...I'd agree that K through 5 should probably learn in person, but older than that should be able to do so digitally I'd think.

My niece's high school is teaching digitally. And is very much like collage. But the social aspect will lacking and more and more computer/phone culture will develop.

There's a lot of parents that can't take care of themselves, much less their kids. One might say that isn't "society's" problem, and there's perhaps some truth to that, but one way or another, it'll become society's problem. IMO, from a purely economic standpoint, education is the cheapest, and most effective use of finite $.

My wife has spent her entire adult life as a teacher and this new reality in education has been a trip to watch from my vantage point.. Teaching, faculty meetings, division head meetings, staff meeting, admin meetings, teacher parent conferences, ect. All done remotely now. What a royal pain in the assss. It was way easier the old fashioned way... I will say that there have been some bright spots though. During her remote learning/teaching she has been able to give the kid a little more resposibibly for their own learning and creativity. Forcing them to think on their own a little more, if you will..She is currently leading the 7th grade English department through a deep dive into "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I have to say that the insights that some of these 7th grader are dropping on her are pretty amazing... Gives some hope for the human race......

I have to say that the home schooling aspect has been a good thing. My first grader, according to the online classes is doing third grade math.
And I should have said we are private school not public.

Our public schools had most of the high school curriculums on line and that is how most their home work was handed in and graded. Mixed feelings on that one. Ill elaborate after i say, once the school closed down, they acted like they were not ready to do it on line. I guess it made for a nice "break". More of hassle to shut the computers down and get assignments on paper. Up here, not everyone has internet.
Seth started home schooled and opted into high school. At a certain age, he and his mom teaching him just butted heads and nothing was being accomplished. So off to public school.
The kid is failing miserably because he basically wont do the work. Of course you know the computer is used for everything else. We have tried every thing to get him on the straight and narrow. Vaping, sexting, texting, pot, got caught snorting speed in class, drinking. Fickin kids can anything in the school thier little hearts desire. And we are very rural for CA. I can just imagine the city schools.
Levi rocks the home schooling and did try middle school, trying to be with certain friends and stay on the wrestling team. The bullying was so bad, he had enough and went back to home school. He was bored to death in public as he was already 2 years ahead in some of his curriculum. When asking the school to accelerate him, they were resistant and a PITA to even try and line up the test. Levi said he wanted to graduate by 16 and move on, chose a home school charter his sister and some of his friends were in. Bam, he's off and running. Has a mind like a sponge.
Lilly has dyslexia and the public school here had limited curriculum and resources. We watched another family member in the same boat flail and fail in the system.
The girls in high schoolb were already making plans to have babies with a baby daddy, get on assistance, let the kids get a little older so they could go to college with assistance and .... . Well yeah. That would be a big no go for my daughter as a learning environment.
Worry for my sons....

Indeed :drink:
Just suggested to Katy to give the option of his getting a GED and move on. Emancipate him. He just wants to work and school is only a social event. Cant keep his nose clean or his grades straight. frig it. The school is going on line 4 days at 5 hour days. He just wants to work so he can play. He runs away when we turn the screws on him to straighten up. Let him move on.

Best you can do is offer guidance. It's up to the individual to follow it or not. He'll get it figured out eventually.

I hope the best for him. Sorry to read that that's the case. One can only hope I guess. Best of luck Steph...

Watched my nephew continually mess up his life. He's locked up as I type...been there since last fall now. Not sure when he gets out. We don't hear from him since he learned he really is on his own. The safety net here has been abused without any thought of respect far too many times.

Like my Sister said so many times: "He'll just have to put on his man pants!"

Indeed :drink:
Just suggested to Katy to give the option of his getting a GED and move on. Emancipate him. He just wants to work and school is only a social event. Cant keep his nose clean or his grades straight. frig it. The school is going on line 4 days at 5 hour days. He just wants to work so he can play. He runs away when we turn the screws on him to straighten up. Let him move on.

This could be a very good option, Stephen. I failed miserably in school, from the 2nd grade on. Not because I wasn't interested in learning, I learned a lot. The schooling system, however, was a dangerously bad fit for me. Started working trees at 15.5 years old and never looked back. No regrets.

I have a dear friend who's oldest son went off the rails, but he was 18, that's classified as an adult here..she had to let him fend for himself, it tore her up, but gradually he sorted himself out, he's now settled and gainfully employed, lives far away physically from mum, but has reconnected on social media and gradually by phone.
It happenes, but shit it must be hard.

Back