Chainsaw RPM's (Frankie gets the last word)

Lots of people will out torque Frankie if you don't up the compression.
No builder from Tennessee is going to out-torque Frankie and seein as you’re from Tennessee that includes you ... now put that in your pipe , pack, and puff it pal... Now, I was simply having dialog with others and sharing some vids , this IS after all a forum or haven’t you been paying attention? I never gave you any lip when ya posted your saw videos on my saw video thread- seems for whatever reason your utube channel is no longer available so the point is mute ... the utube algorithm most likely ... Oh wait ... you are one of those OPE guys , gotcha , keep drinking the kool-aid 😃. See ya ✌️

Last edited:
Yes you need fuel to generate power @Magnus but must be at proper ratio ... Ported saw can actually make more power and get almost same mileage as stock because fuel is being burned more efficiently! I’m not decreasing compression at all , Just using the stock gasket or if customer wants higher compression a thinner base gasket - If you look at 2-stroke race bike / street bike you will find race bike has lower compression! Street model 7.5:1 , Race 6.6:1 - street make 60hp , race make 90hp ... hmm 🤔 maybe higher RPM on race bike no ?
I know what porting is and have played a bit with this as well. But as you increase the power, you decrease the hrs. Not a problem for most.
Another issue is warranty. You need to keep it valid on new saws today...
You can't compare bikes and chainsaws. No one runs a bike engine 8hrs a day 300 day's a year and expect it to last a few years.
What is the issue if we plug the fresh air intake in the cylinder ?
Beside making EPA angry...
It is not so easy as the intake and trancefers are different from conventional cylinders. I played around a bit with this but its not easy to get to work well. It has to do with the gas as it flow in and out.
You can increase the amount of fuel air mix so it lasts a bit longer and perform a bit better, but then the emission gain they built engine for go to hell.

An flushed two stroke is not a emission friendly design. It has few moving parts/kg/hp thats the principle. Now they are heavier, more electronic's and less hrs. And when you check the saws, emissions are not that much better either.
It has other benefits as more saws sol per logger and year. So why make something that lasts...

When you increase power you decrease life. Fair enough statement but correctly built saw can last as long as stocker. However , new model saws can be plugged into a computer with software that reads (among other things) the total hours of runtime. When saw is getting 20hrs of runtime before grenade explodes something is wrong here. No longer can builder “hide” behind bullshit - the computer does not lie ! If new saw last 1000hrs than properly built ported saw should last near as long. IF customer wants saw built on razor-edge then one can expect decrease in life but not 20hrs! Or 30hrs! Or even 50hrs! Someone is getting the short-end of the stick here! The point of the 2-stroke motorcycle engine comparison is to show factory does not use high-compression at all but rather lowers compression and achieves more power. High-Compression fight rpm and hammerschmidts the bottom end! I have 2 saws built by Hotsaws101: 241, 461 and several I’ve built myself with well over 250hrs and counting! Guy who is porting/building saws and getting 20hrs before bomb detonates is not going to be in business long! Word travels quickly in internet era - either folk will avoid or builder is going broke replacing top-ends

I know saws built as standard saws by LARGE scale builders with unlimited resourses like Stihl, Husqvarna That went kaboom under less than 8 hrs....

It is possible to get a “lemon” straight from the factory , this should be covered under warranty

Let me see........... we have here a man, a former logger, who runs a full time saw repair shop and has what is probably the largest collection of saws known to man.
Then we have another man, who tinkers with porting saws and cuts firewood.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................................who should we believe.

Hard decision.

Very hard.

I’m the man of the hour , the man with the power , the man too sweet to be sour ! Sez so right in my signature 😂

Not if its been wrenched on... No matter how little you do it it woids warranty.
I agree ☝️ ... even a muffler mod can cause the warranty to not be honored ... fortunately, I keep a spare just in case

Let me see........... we have here a man, a former logger, who runs a full time saw repair shop and has what is probably the largest collection of saws known to man.
Then we have another man, who tinkers with porting saws and cuts firewood.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......................................who should we believe.

Hard decision.

Very hard.
Oh Magnus has an extensive collection of saws and his knowledge of these older versions far exceeds mine ... To state otherwise would be foolish and arrogant .. However @stig , that’s not what the discussion was about- talking about building saws for increased output AND longevity. The building cartel to which I belong has well over 10000 two-stroke engines successfully built , raced and placed , with many 1st place finishes. A combination of well over 100 YEARS of combined knowledge and experience. I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over some “others” who , in a serious discussion of 2-stroke modification, be it chainsaws , atvs , snowmobiles or pwc ... would simply be laughed right out of the room ... and I’m not referring to Magnus

Oh Magnus has an extensive collection of saws and his knowledge of these older versions far exceeds mine ... To state otherwise would be foolish and arrogant .. However @stig , that’s not what the discussion was about- talking about building saws for increased output AND longevity. The building cartel to which I belong has well over 10000 two-stroke engines successfully built , raced and placed , with many 1st place finishes. A combination of well over 100 YEARS of combined knowledge and experience. I will take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday over some “others” who , in a serious discussion of 2-stroke modification, be it chainsaws , atvs , snowmobiles or pwc ... would simply be laughed right out of the room ... and I’m not referring to Magnus
100 years saw wrenching.. Hmmm Last time I met the two closest dealers here we sat talked about the saws and had around 200 years between us and I am the young padowan as well as the guy to my right that has been wrenching saws since 50's.
Well, then you know the differences in the engines! How they are built and what is expected from them.
A chainsaw racing machine is not something you go cut beech wood with for a living.
Just as you don't take a 70cc chainsaw engine and put on a competitive racing bike or snowmobile.

Please stop going on about how much better you are it looks mostly as you are overcompensating.
Be careful running down others when you know very little about them, especially when its internet knowledge handed down from ass to mouth. It never tastes good. Drop that stuff and we'll get along just fine!

I’m only pointing out that some are very biased as to how to how build saws and they are sadly mistaken IF they believe “their way” is the “Best and only way” to do it ! Talk is cheap, takes money to buy whiskey ... I say nobody’s out-torquing Frankie ... Show me other builder 462c saw that will outcut this 462c ...and she’ll run ALL DAY LONG... .... I’ll wait ... chow

Last edited:
Looks like I’ll be waiting a looooooong-ass time ... mark my words ! 😂

Rube Goldberg ... meet Walter Mitty hahaha 😂 ... Don’t know what you’re yappin on about @Nutball there’s not a snowballs chance in hell any Tennessee ported 462c is touching my gear ... I posted the vid ; now put up or zipp it buster. I’ll wait 😝

I think less thunder in mouth , more lightning in hand sums it up quite nicely. I spent many,many,many hours on these saws to get them to run like they do... If not willing to give credit where credit is due ... then to hell with them - not worth sweat off my nuts 🥜

Last edited:
Well to show a video is one thing. To run the saw and make money from it is a completely different ball game.
Racing saws is fun, building racing saws is fun too but not the same as work saws.
You can toot your horn all you want and be as good as ever but if the saws perform, they speak for you so relax a bit and you soon see.
Look at the Trumpet.. He tooted his horn more than most to no use at all...
Wrenching saws for loggers is a completely different ball game than racing.
Saws design has limits. If you get close to the limits hrs get less, pass the limits they get very few. It is not hard to doubble the power or pass the limits so the saw go kaboom on start, not one minute runtime. The hard part is to know how much to take out of it and what the customers need is.
Modding work saws is not the best thing for some loggers. Better find a saw better suited for their needs.
Here the loggers know what they spend on the saws per year and what they do with them.
It is pretty easy to cut costs if you know how and increase if you don't.

This is a Hotwoods ported work saw ... no cookie cutting “glamor video” ... run all day , everyday, and put good money in Frankies pocket, in fact I can make more profit using this saw than I can building saws for others. This dead ash was 300... If you do not believe it than do not believe it , the tape doesn’t lie or talk out of its arse ...

Okay guys I have the solution... A couple youtube full disclosure (show us all your tricks) videos! Maybe Frankie and Nutball start with the same stock saw and run through their whole process? Then we can collectively crown the winner! I know these trade secrets are closely held, but I'm sure most of us are still going to send our beloved saws to a pro to have them worked on...
And I promise I wont do any saw building in Tennessee, New York, or Northern Cali (hotsaws101 territory)

Back