camping our way back from portland

Porkbrick

TreeHouser
looking for some suggestions from you all on cool camping spots to stop at on the way back from Portland to eureka. im not real familiar with Oregon in general, been up the coast a few times and found it quite beautiful. actually, while im at it, when i was a kid my step dad took me to a beach somewhere in Oregon. the cliffs and rocks there were full of fossils, it was awesome. i have never been able to figure out where that beach was, maybe someone here knows? anyhoo, im starting to get exited about the conference and being there to watch the comp. hope to see some of you there. cheers, jaime.

If you're into camping in state park campgrounds, I recommend Jedidiah Smith State Park on the Smith River. It is a very beautiful campground, one of the prettiest I've seen. Take a drive through it before you choose a spot...down by the river there's spaces within the old growth that are awesome. If we were into camping we would like it there.
Lots to choose from between Portland and Eureka, that's for sure. If you get south of Eureka let us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i think we will end up somewhere on the smith for sure. Ive heard from many that it is beautiful but have never had the opportunity to check it out myself. from eureka we're en rout back home to santa cruz. haven't decided weather(whether?) to go the 1 for the sights or the 101 for speed.

patricks point, you can hike to the beach, see the elk herd, and camp under the giants

its a must see, as well as fern canyon

funny thing is i lived in eureka for 8 years, but in all that time i only made it north of orick two or three times. always ended up going south or east.:|:

Orick is great, we had some friends on a dairy there, it is now a State park on the way to fern canyon. Hope to catch you at the conference

ditto, im looking forward to meeting some fellow treehousers! put some faces to names and such.

Jaime-when you drive south of Klamath a little ways don't pass up the Newton B Drury Parkway. It's just a short diversion onto the old highway and into Prairie Creek Park. It's a must-see on the way home. Great short hikes to be had if you have the time, and the trees are magnificent.

So how are we going to run into each other with so many people there? I heard from someone with PNW ISA, expected turn out is 2000.

perhaps a coordinated or semi-coordinated meeting? or we could wear outrageous hats, im pretty sure ill be the only one with a Mohawk;).

Wear your TreeHouse tee shirts... problem solved. But be warned - you might be thought of as an outlaw!

Back