Buying a larger truck...Carb? Good buy?

toyotadadon

TreeHouser
So I am starting a small business and am in need of a larger truck and am on a tight budget..the truck I've been looking at is an Isuzu frr 6 cycle turbo diesel its got a 20k gvm and is a 6 speed manual. A former boss is selling it so I am familiar with driving it and what it can handle which seems to fit. It has 140k miles. My question is anyone else familiar with these trucks and also I'm in California and am worried about the carb laws I don't want to buy it if I can only run it for a year. Has anyone here been affected by or had to retrofit newer engines into these its looking far fetched after seeing the CARB website. I really want this truck but don't like to waste my time and effort also anyone run isuzus or models alike any feedback on what your thoughts on them likes or dislikes. Is a help thanks.

Just go with a gasser like I did, theres no worry.

diesels, unless there new will be shut down, cant register in cali, have to sell out of state....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just go with a gasser like I did, theres no worry.

diesels, unless there new will be shut down, cant register in cali, have to sell out of state....
Which gasser did ya go with gvm specs pics?

97' F450 4x4 with 460 V8

ZMn3sgN.jpg

Ld8l0ZT.jpg

Yes Boss!
had it in 4x4 today on 5 acres on some hills, rough terrain, truck didnt even know it was there..lol

some people say there truck has such low gears that they get out and walk next to it, mine is geared so low I just Stand there lol :/:

I'm sure that's a 460 nice truck but 17k kinda steep for an old unit I'm sure it's worth it but a little over the range I'm spending...found an old dump truck the other day I'll post some pics but I think it a dodge 500 hoping it past 75 for exemptions... I'll post some pics soon anyone running an old school truck..

Something to keep in mind is a good chip box, hoist, HD Hitch, and tool boxes like that would probably run $12,000+ new. If it isn't rusted out, it's still worth something.

My first chip truck was a 84 K30 that I spent $2500 on that needed non-stop work. I still run a 85 K30 for different applications ,but I spent a lot more on it, and it runs perfect. I still see value in older trucks if they are clean, drive straight, low miles and no rust.

If you want to run an older rig, ask yourself how much time do you have to work on your truck? Make sure to get an accurate mileage count, check compression, check for leaks, etc. before you buy. You'll know what the right move is for your business.

thats just an ex-Davey truck like mine but with a really bad paint job..lol..they just slapped that on there and put up a super high price tag ;) ;)

So you'll sell me yours for a bit less :D

In all that isuzu frr still is looping around in my head its such a great deal for me and my situation. Sucks damn hippie politics are making it hard for me to make a decision. Im going to look at the dodge 500 (ill acquire some pics by the end of the week and post em). but chances are i can pick it up next to nothing and still pick up isuzu frr. then i can run the isuzu til the hippie's shut me down then throw the cab of the exempt dodge and viola smog exempt. or so i think i can.

Back