The Tree House loves TreeStuff!

Business owners, do you expect a potential employee to negotiate pay?

Tree09

Treehouser
Depends on what it is. If you are undercutting your own trade then hell yes they have a huge problem with that. Each area is different, and each trade is too. Carpenters often rat on just about anything they can on the side, one of the many reasons they are treated like they are. Around here residential work is mainly non union, so my tree service means nothing. Now if i buy a crane and start running that all over town, I'll likely be followed to a job and asked to join the operators, which I'll hopefully be ready for. Then i can get way more commercial work, crane hire, and have qualified operators at my disposal. My end game is to have a signatory company with enough iron to make it almost self sufficient. Then maybe I'll have enough together to start a piping outfit as well.

Burnham

Woods walker
Does sarcasm fly too high over your head to grasp? Let me 'splain it in more easily understood language...you.

At least I know I'm not one on this subject. You, on the other hand...

Frankie

I Build and Run Ported Saws !
I’m not professing to be an expert at all , just giving another point of view. Awful surry that put a burr in your saddle 🤷‍♂️ The OP asked a question and I gave him my opinion- nothing more , nothing less sir

Last edited:

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
There is a hell of a difference between a qualified opinion and just one of those that are like assholes......................everybody has one.

The second type is pretty much worthless in a thread like this.

'Bout worth as much to the OP as if I started spouting off about the rules and regulations in Denmark.

Frankie

You have a penchant for stating the obvious @stig , if you bother to read the thread the OP thanked me for my opinion ... good day sir !

Mick!

TreeHouser
You just make it about you Frankie, your silly stories with you as the hero, your boringly predictable opinions on unions, taxes or the job, fouling up the thread because you are bored and need a bit of friction.

You do it all the time.

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
, if you bother to read the thread the OP thanked me for my opinion ... good day sir !
Which simply says that the OP doesn't know you and doesn't know about the enormous amount of bullshit you put out.

As in ENORMOUS!

Now go split some wood, and show us lazy loggers how a real man works.

Frankie

Haha ! I’m buried under snow - no cutting / splitting today ... think I’ll dust off the Xbox and play some brothers in arms !

Frankie

You just make it about you Frankie, your silly stories with you as the hero, your boringly predictable opinions on unions, taxes or the job, fouling up the thread because you are bored and need a bit of friction.

You do it all the time.
Rubbish ... found an excellent read : 8FFE44BF-87F0-42CD-9ECC-1B487A0AF907.jpeg

Last edited:

ruel

TreeHouser
I worked in MA 8 years ago. I only had one year of experience, and left making $19/hr. Health insurance and 2 weeks vacation+ 5 sick days. Not great considering Boston cost of living but not too bad either.

Some of the foreman who were long time employees were in the $40/hr range from what I heard. With a month or more of vacation time.

Up here in Maine I was offered $17/hr to be a foreman for one of the big companies. I unintentionally laughed out loud at that offer, but apparently it's not uncommon up here.

What employers are willing to pay depends on the area. I negotiated more vacation/ sick time at two of my last jobs, always worth trying for.

Mellow

Treehouser
As a business owner since 1985, I have hired some 50+ employees over the years. I always make the initial offer of hourly wages. It's usually accepted except for one or two times where the potential employee asked for a higher wage. My counter offer has been to accept my offer for a trial period of one to two weeks and then renegotiate. The employee either proves himself worthy... or not.

The Tree House Loves TreeStuff!