Bug eyes?

• Thread starter top hopper
  • Start date
  • Replies 82
  • Views 10K
T

top hopper

Anyone have any experience with the Bug Eyes safety glasses?

It seems on windy days, I always seems to get a handful of sawdust in my eyes regardless of the type of safety glasses I wear. Its usually on a large removal where Im cutting big wood while aloft, the wind just always seem to take it right in my face.

I try to use the top or bottom of the bar to throw the majority of the dust away from me, but when its really windy it doesnt seem to matter much.

I know they have the screen ones which I dont think Id like (messes with my depth perception), Id be more inclined to use the clear or tinted lenses. Do they come tinted? And are they vented to prevent fogging? And mostly, are they comfortable?

Great question, top...the fogging is what I would wonder about...seems like they would HAVE to with the lens. The mesh won't stop the fine dust, I am sure.

I wear Wiley X's that are pretty form fitting (not goggles, but still a close fit)...on windy days I still get gunk sneaking around the edges. If the buy eyes don't fog I would be very interested in getting some.

Mesh Sux. Fine dust is worse than the chips in my book .. Personal experience.. Fogging lenses sux also... I have not tried the lenses on the bug eyes yet. If they come with lenses...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think the 'bug eyes' glasses use lenses, just a fine mesh screen. Spydey wears them.

They do make a lensed version, but if they fog, they wont work, and Id prefer some tint.

Now if I can just figure out if there ANSI rated as safety glasses

I wear the bug eye screens with no problem. I've been using them for over ten years now and really like them as I can fog up anything.

I wear the mesh ones and love 'em.

Attachments

• fir back cut.jpg
    fir back cut.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 107
Do the wire mesh ones allow the really fine dust particles through?

Ive never tried them, but I would just guess they would mess with my depth perception. You know that goofy feeling you get when you look through a chainlink fence?

I haven't had the depth perception problem, and it does take some getting used to.. Just a fine dust problem and if the sun hits just right, can't see diddly.

Do the wire mesh ones allow the really fine dust particles through?

Ive never tried them, but I would just guess they would mess with my depth perception. You know that goofy feeling you get when you look through a chainlink fence?

Its only a problem when cutting dead wood. They are certainly not for everyone but they aren't so expensive that you couldn't give them a try.

I've never had a dust problem, but then I don't hardly ever cut dead wood. Mostly, I throw chips! I didn't have any getting used to them. The mesh is so fine, I can't even "see" it. The Sun can cause problems at the right angle, but it's managable. Alot of times I actually forget I have them on.

I've used the mesh ones for four or five years, but mostly they stay up on my hard hat. When I do use them, they work for me except for real fine dust, but it bugs the way they block some vision along the outside edges. I usually don't pull them down unless I already have dust in my eyes. Not the best safety practice for sure, but I hate wearing things in general....'cept for my chaps, I love my chaps. I always go to sleep wearing pajamas, but wake up naked:?

Ok now the thought of PPE in bed really gave me some strange images on the activity there of .... Well ok then. LOL

I cut a lot of dead wood here, and valley oaks are as dusty as all get out, as are white oaks..

Hey Jay, not to derail this thread, ever try the Husqvarna that wrap all the round ya down to the ankles.. Love dem the bestist. :)
I don't sleep in them though.. ;)

Jay, they're not going to do you any good up on your hardhat. I'm hoping you at least wear prescription glasses so you have SOMETHING there. Only have one set of eyes. Ok...lecture over.

I use them. They're the only goggles I've ever had that really work. They don't fog, sweat doesn't stick to them, and I can wear them under my helmet. They come in 2 different styles: fine mesh and medium. I like the fine mesh better as it keep out smaller particles. But the best way to avoid the dust problem is to keep your saw sharp! ;)

didnt like 'em - get out some MX goggles if the going gets that nasty -

Back