Better Business Bureau

Bodean

Cali dreamer
They just called me, I thought I was in trouble.
But just marketing.

Do any of you register with them?

They called and offered me $500/year, for accreditation and the Graphic jpeg.
It's tax deductible too.

Any perks? Did it pan out for you?

They've called me too,

I hung up on them. Hope they don't report me! :lol:

Honestly, I hang up on all those people. If I'm interested in advertising, I'll call you. Until then... CLICK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
yeah, I guess it's basically a marketing advertising thing.

I bet the bigger companies go for it more than the little ones.

I'm no expert, but.... if you can painlessly afford it, try it for a year and see if it seemed to do anything to help.

But right offhand, my gut says keep my dough.

It's worthless, nothing more than a sales pitch. Just like the phone solicitors who sell the Police Benevolent Association stickers for $200 each. You're buying a $200 sticker with 199.50 of the proceeds going into the pocket of the seller.

When was the last time you ever heard of a bad company being prosecuted (or even publicized) by the BBB? They don't do chit except take your money and try to maintain an 'approved vendor' list that isn't too out of date. Nobody calls them any more because it's easier and faster to find who you need online. The BBB doesn't even have a decent searchable database on their website. You might as well give your money to the local Chamber of Commerce, the right person could at least steer some work your way.

Spend that money on Google, I'm supprised how much work the free listing brings.

BBB could be cool, but they just suck money.

Definetly be on the free google thing.

I'd forget the paying thing, unless you're looking for more biz and then I'd spend money on other ways of advertising.

I am a member of the BBB. Have been for several years now. It is my hope that it does help me look more like a professional business. I mention it in my sales pitch which includes me informing the potential customer that I also have worker's comp and liability insurance. I tell them that they can go online and look up my business. They can see that I have zero complaints from customers. To me it is worth the $500 a year. Only 3 companies in my area are members. Might not be right for everybody but I will remain a member as long as I own the business. Like everybody has been saying, first put your eggs in the internet. If you still have money left over, I think it is worth it.

Sticker looks nice in a store front for customers that may come to the store... Pretty expensive and useless sticker IMO. Back when I owned a copier shop... Like I said.. It looked nice... 'Bout it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Right on, Thanks Everybody. I appreciate the replies.

I set up that google business places advertisement.
Not bad for free. I've gotten quite a few hits from, ISA's Find an Arborist too.
I think as long as I stay free of complaints the opportunity to register with the BBB will stand.
Thanks Fruitbowl for the perspective. Northern AZ is the most beautiful of the SW in my opinion.

Are you kidding? There's people who are members in good standing with hundreds of complaints. You got nothin' to worry 'bout.

As a consumer I say WTF is the BBB?

As a business owner, I say, uhm, well, yeah about the same thing, I find it irrelevant.

Back