Bang/Buck Rigging Rope?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Been thinking about getting some more stout line for various uses. Probably won't be for rigging trees, but maybe it will too. I'm looking for a good generalist rope that takes a beating, and works for a lot of activities. That was why I got my ½" treemaster and promaster lines. Where to go from there?

My pulleys are ⅝", so that would indicate a ⅝" rope, but that's only a modest upgrade, and pulleys aren't super expensive if I were to get something bigger. StableBraid? That's different than what I have. More TreeMaster, but bigger? Arborplex?

You all know what I'm about. I'm in this for the kicks, and don't absolutely need anything. Whatever I get will be inappropriately used/abused for various tasks that may or may not even involve trees. Given the gear I have, my skill level, and rate of engagement with trees in particular, what would be a good companion rope for a little more oomph?

I use 1/2 arborplex for light stuff and 5/8 treemaster for heavier stuff. I need to break down and get some super thick stuff, but I've killed a bunch of trees using this so far and the thick stuff would be just so i could do bigger pieces and do stuff faster. I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish, I'm trying to figure out why you would need rope with more capacity.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
General pulling and lifting. Specifically right now, hauling logs out of the woods. My rope should be fine, but when I get to the bigger pieces, it's gonna be close when knots are figured in. Might be hauling a truck out of the mud at a distance, might be negative rigging a tree. Dunno. Looking for some useful insurance I can pull out, and not think "Hmm... I wonder if this is gonna work?"

Stablebraid is an proven line and what i run most of the time but the price point of Maple Leaf's high tenacity double braid is appealing and virtually the same specs as Samson.

My heavy is 5/8 Stable Braid , has taken alot of use , even abuse and still works ... Have 3/4 three strand New England Rope , really only goes out on occasion. Heavy and Knots take extra time.

If you are dragging logs out of the woods (I'm assuming with a vehicle), wire rope or chain is going to be be best, because it tolerates that level of abrasion/abuse the best. You will destroy rope in a hurry trying to do that. Get a choker bell and a ferrule from a place like west tech rigging and you'll be able to choke logs easily (can only use on wire core rope tho). You can also just use some tongs. Remember you can also use the ferrules to join wire to chain by threading the wire through the chain then putting on a ferrule. Learn to splice eyes in it and you'll be able to make all sorts of stuff, its not that hard to do. You can also just use rope clamps, installed correctly they work just fine. Get some logging pulleys there too if you need them, they are cheaper than arborist blocks and will hold more. If you need to run various lengths of it, either get a havens clamp (or similar) or weld up a large diameter bollard or samson post and cleat it off just like rope. If you just need a set length choker, go up to your local hardware store, buy some 3/8 or 1/2 inch wire, get 3 clips for each end, and you'll be off to the races.

I looked up tongs. Price of entry looks like ~$1k for something decent. I gave up on that idea unless I see something decent used. Rope should be protected, at least for this particular job. That was a lot of my motivation for the skidding cone. I'll mull over the cable. Looks like ⅜" is $2/ft(I need about 150'). That adds hassle for transportation/storage, but it is durable.

? Tongs are like 50 bucks. I got mine from tsc if i remember, they work great. If rope is protected it would work too. You can't back up closer to the logs? Are you milling them? What's the point if you aren't getting paid? Logs are everywhere, get easier ones.

Cheapo tongs look cheap, and got some complaints in reviews. Looks like Dixie are the ones to get.

Why am I doing this? Cause I want to. It's an interesting project that'll require me to be creative, and develop/refine skills. There's a little bit of everything on this ~.5 acre. It's a micro sized logging operation that has pretty much everything related to forestry extraction aside from pruning. There's even a spur climb if I choose to do it.

edit:
Oh, and I scored a brand new maasdam today for $25. Got one for each arm now. Double the pulling power! :^P

I've never seen a set of tongs over a couple hundred, let alone 1k. I absolutely love mine, especially once I got rid of the retainer rings and welded the points in. Maybe 75 bucks i think? It's been years ago. There's me testing my log arch, when i built that years ago too lol.

20150723_194631.jpg

That's the TimberTuff(sp?) tongs? Think they could pull a few thousand pounds?

These are the Dixies...

Lol those are nice, but wtf. I lift up to a ton or so with mine. You are overthinking this a bit, you need some tongs to move a few logs for free, not buying something to log commercially for years until you finally wear them away to nothing dragging them behind a skidder. Anything that big i use chokers, which is the cheapest/safest way anyways.

Yea, a little bit. The biggest logs out there are 28" eyeballed. Might be bigger or smaller. That gave me a guideline though. Taking 6" off the size isn't gonna drop it an interesting amount below $1k

edit:
I get your point Kyle, but I'm always a little leery of Chinese tools for real work. I've had too many failures over too many years to rely on them. If it takes $1k to get something that works, I'll pay $1k. You don't save a penny if an $80 tool blows apart in use.

A choker seems like a good balance between durability and convenience. I'm probably going out there today cause the weather's nice. I can run my setup as a proof of concept, and see how it works. Adjust from there.

I still want bigger rope though. There'll be more stuff after this project.

You absolutely don't need skidding tongs. Chain with a choker hook will be the way.

16 strand is enjoyable to work with, takes stupid abuse, will do anything you are getting into. If you really have your heart set on a bigger rope, Maple leaf ropes will have the best bang for your buck

I've never seen a set of tongs over a couple hundred, let alone 1k. I absolutely love mine, especially once I got rid of the retainer rings and welded the points in. Maybe 75 bucks i think? It's been years ago. There's me testing my log arch, when i built that years ago too lol.

View attachment 110661

Nice, but those tires are pretty skinny for lawns.

Works great, fits through a gate and doesn't require me to pick up the logs. I built it because i threw my back loading my arbor trolley, and it performs with similar efficiency, will do about 1k with 2 guys on it. They are smaller diameter than the arbor trolley, but similar width, flat free as well. In hindsight i should have ordered replacement arbor trolley wheels, then it would likely work even better, but for a hand powered one it's pretty damn good. The fitter version of the same tool is called a grasshopper, they use steel wheels that are very large diameter, which are even easier to roll. If i do a bigger one, I'll use a trailer axle and full size tires, but then it won't be really for doing stuff by hand, but rather a winch at the least. I'll post some picks moving decent size logs next time i remember, i use it all the time for moving stuff around the house that's too heavy but i don't want to fire up the backhoe.

I have two pair of Dixie 24" tongs from back when I had a log truck. Also have a pair of Dixie 20" tongs. When I cut down trees too big for the Gehl to handle with the grapple, I cut them in 24" blocks. The tongs will stretch to 25". I hook them face to face and lift them with the Gehl. I've loaded cuts a bit over 5' diameter that way.

Back