Balance beam

cory

Tree House enthusiast
This could be a lot of simple fun. Got the idea from IG where you can of course buy a sweet looking metal one for a hundo or so
70C40A8C-F4C6-4A22-9B61-72946D5A095C.jpeg

I like that better than something manufactured. Aside from the obvious cost savings, it just looks better. To make it a little "fancier", you could use rounds with notches cut in the top as the base. Make a few with different heights, and you could incline it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was initially thinking of using rounds but it was too early morning to do any chain saw work. But speaking of looks, rounds with no lashings could look kinda cool.

Btw, it's not that easy to walk it! 3.5" wide.

The more I think about that, the more I like it. I'm gonna make one for myself when I get a suitable branch. I'm not as graceful as I was when I was younger. Practice might improve balance, and give me more confidence and safety working at height. Thinking of more than just tree work. It would be good for my main job walking forms, rebar and stuff.

We used bamboo...4x4 support blocks with a "V" cut to prevent roll.

Attachments

• Alex - Matt on boo b-w.jpg
    Alex - Matt on boo b-w.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Alex on beam black-white.jpg
    Alex on beam black-white.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 3
  • GL on bamboo beam.JPG
    GL on bamboo beam.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 4
Awesome Gary, but where them bare feet at?!? ;)

Nah those aren't difficult, they're impossible
I bet you spend 4 hours at it you coukd walk from one side to the other. 8 days everyday 1/2 hour at a time. Gauranteed. Use a ratchet strap to get started. The shakyness seems impossible at first but you'll get it.

You might be right, Ive experienced the same with 'high wires' that were a foot off the ground, impossible at first but you get it later. But those were maybe 15' long, not some crazy 30'+ slackline.

Sounds like you are likely a fan of balance sports.

I am, the paddle board was a similar experience to a slackline for me but required less concentration.

I find the slackline very therapeutic. I havent moved on to high slack lines. It is very different to not have the ground to use as perspective. I am blown away by the guys that slackline across canyons and such.

Totally.

Good idea!

Back