Bail out cord question?

• Thread starter fallguy
  • Start date
  • Replies 17
  • Views 3K
F

fallguy

How are you finishing the ends of your bailout cords? I whipped stitched mine but I noticed that it unraveled back to the end of the whipping. Just currious to see what other creative solutions are out there.

On fire retardant cord that cannot be melted on the ends with a flame, whipping is about your best option. I have a piece of similar cord somebody gave me years ago and I whipped the ends using Power Pro spectra fishing line. It did the same thing, unravelled back to the whipping. I trimmed it to about 1/16" and left it.

If you coat the whipping with a strong adhesive, it will hold up better....or something like varathane.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats what I thought. I have some liquid rubber for electrical splices I was going to paint that on the end. Maybe that glue would be better.

EWWWW!!! I absolutely HATE using electrical tape. In our heat, it turns to goo in a short period of time and is completely nasty. Save the electrical tape for wrapping electrical wire connections that will remain behind the drywall in the house or up under the dash of your car. It has no business anywhere near ropes of any type in our line of work.
:big-tongue2:

I use Zing it, wrap it tight and I've never had an issue. I cut the cord close to the whipping, after it's set in place.

It's easier to whip it tighter if the cord is tensioned. The tension is easier if you don't cut it to length until you're done whipping. When you make your reel side of whipping, make another for the end of the next piece. Gets it tight enough it can be difficultish to set with pliers.

Works for me.

EWWWW!!! I absolutely HATE using electrical tape. In our heat, it turns to goo in a short period of time and is completely nasty. Save the electrical tape for wrapping electrical wire connections that will remain behind the drywall in the house or up under the dash of your car. It has no business anywhere near ropes of any type in our line of work.
:big-tongue2:

LOL. This gave me a big kick. Shows how different locales can handle different solutions.

Up here in the cold north, a taped end will out last the rope! But I can totally visualize Skwerl's goopy mess and, therefore, his adversion to using it.

Dave

Yep, anywhere north of 54 degrees northern latitude electrical tape is the cats ass.

Been workin' on it for nigh onto 40 years by now.
One of my major projects in life.
Well, not just the slang of course, the whole language.

I continue to be impressed with your splendid use of the English language, Stig...especially the colloquial phrases.

Far better than many native speakers.

Thank you.
Danish has about 70.000 words, compared to the almost 400.000 words in english. There are lots of things I can express better in English than Danish.
My written English has improved a lot since I started posting here.
Normally I'd only use it for an e-mail once and again.
All the writing I do here, has really lubricated that part of my brain.

Back