Backchain the back cut

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I don’t have full wrap handles and don’t plan on getting them. I know that’s blasphemy to some of you guys. Not so good for milling or cutting a stump really low. I’ve been known to backchain my back cut to stay on the high side of the stump. It hasn’t been an issue. Usually just lean into the saw with the front my hip a little. A friend of mine said it’s a dangerous thing to do. I certainly don’t want to put myself at risk but can’t see it being troublesome. I’m aware of the forces at work and what the saw wants to do when backchaining. I mitigate that with body weight. Would anyone here call it dangerous?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That’s what I figured Cory, appreciate you! Just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something. I respect my friend and value his opinions but begged to differ on the backchaining.

Well that's just my take, I'm sure there are many others as well.

If I were cutting big trees out west on steep slopes, I'd most likely have a full wrap handle but here in the NE, I regularly cut with a pushing chain and motor downward with no problemos

I dont particularly like to backchain just because its hard on my shoulder, but even with a full wrap I do it as the situation calls for it. Like anything chainsaw related, doing it safely is a matter of assesing the risk and outting the correct steps in place to minimize the risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, dropping as many trees as possible day in day out would make a full wrap a no brainer. Not our situation, like you said.

I've used it in the bucket to keep from getting sprayed with chips, but it's much easier to flip the saw over if you are a righty cutting from the right side of the tree. Otherwise, why would you?

Well that's just my take, I'm sure there are many others as well.

If I were cutting big trees out west on steep slopes, I'd most likely have a full wrap handle but here in the NE, I regularly cut with a pushing chain and motor downward with no problemos

Blasphemer!!

Manual brakes are light years away from Fred Flintstone!!

:lol:

I pointed out an ergonomic improvement with the wrap handle to a climber today who was chicken- winging the starter side wrap.

He happily used the better positioning.

This thread confused me for a bit.

But I assume backchaining's cutting with the top of your bar, a push cut.

Which when chunking down vertical trunks is standard operating procedure.

Like Murph said, it keeps the sawdust out of your lap!.

Also keeps your bar true longer.

Jomo

Upside down, right side up, pulling chain, back chaining, bore cutting, right handed, and left handed are all part of the game with or with out full wrap. The danger is the fact that it’s a chainsaw, technique is what keeps you safe. Let the saw become part of your body just not in your body.

Wedgies! If you have full comp chain you can pack the kerf with chips behind the chain by pulling the tip back into the wood, like bore cutting,

Whenever we cut a bad sideleaner, we always start the cut on the compression side.
That way, if your hinge goes, you have a better chance of saving the saw ( And yourself)
So with our low stumps, 50% of the times it means backchaining the back cut.
No big deal, but with an aggressively cutting saw, it sure is more comfortable to dog in and go the other way.
Dangerous................................???
For a complete rookie, maybe.

I pointed out an ergonomic improvement with the wrap handle to a climber today who was chicken- winging the starter side wrap.

He happily used the better positioning.

As I may have said before, I think you'd enjoy jiu jitsu because of your innate interest in ergonomics and proper work positioning and leverage in treework. Bjj afaik is much about leverage and overcoming opponents strength by superior positioning allowing superior leverage

As I may have said before, I think you'd enjoy jiu jitsu because of your innate interest in ergonomics and proper work positioning and leverage in treework. Bjj afaik is much about leverage and overcoming opponents strength by superior positioning allowing superior leverage

I would love it.

Can't risk an injury.

I took a year of aikido at 18.
Hurry my back at the beginning of my sophmore year and didn't make it back.

Paid off once when 4 teenage ( Latin Kings, in part) tried to mug my friend and I.
Barely got out unharmed, not dead.

Back