Anyone Use The Logger's Boot Tie For Laces?

lxskllr

Treehouser
My spur climbing boots have been pissing me off. They're old military deck boots, and the laces they came with weren't like modern laces, so I swapped them with paracord. Problem is the paracord unties itself when I use the standard military wrap & knot I use on my normal boots.

For a logger knot, you put a loop in the lace on the final hole on each side and push it through. That give you two bights of cord, and two free ends. Take each free end and put it through the opposite bight, and pull tight. That's it. I'll be trying it myself tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone else used it, and if they find it acceptable.

I've tied square knots for years, after cutting the laces so there's only about 3" of tails beyond the knot. They stay tied until I take them off that evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The way I normally tie boots is leaving them laced in the speedloops, pull them tight, then wrap til you can't get anymore wraps, tie in a... square knot is probably ideal, but I end up with whatever I get. Might be square, might be a granny... then tuck the free ends under the wraps. Usually holds great. Once in a blue moon, heavy brush might untie them, but not usually.

Side note... Why do pretty much every set of laces eat shit? Anyone thinking that kernmantle design is a good idea for laces should be kicked the balls til they see the light. It's a solved problem, but near as I can tell, the only ones that use them are combat boots. Solid braid cord that wears like iron, stays tied, and is trivially easy to repair using a sheet bend. Also, military speedloops are superior to just about everything else. You shouldn't ever have to run a lace through a loop unless you break it. Leave them tied, put them on, pull the laces. Done... Never seen them on anything but combat boots either...

I've tied square knots for years, after cutting the laces so there's only about 3" of tails beyond the knot. They stay tied until I take them off that evening.
Same exact here :dude:

Starter cord and throwline both hold up well imo. I leave a permanent knot And just weave over the tabs, throwline is too Slippery to hold a regular slipped reef knot.

Ive used the loggers tie when I was wearing whites, works great. Works even better with rawhide Laces

Same here. I learned once as a kid...learned the twice method from the Sherrill Tree catalog about 20 years ago. It always holds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, are you guys talking about a surgeons knot? I thought the "tree" was the top of the boot.

edit:
BTW, I tried it today, and it seemed alright. I'm not ready to cut the cords I have on it, but I might make a new set to try it proper. I made a kind of hybrid system. A loggers knot then the military wraps just to take the slack away, but it was the loggers holding things together, and it seemed to work well.

Back