Anyone Know How Much Force Is Generated Via Climbing?

lxskllr

Treehouser
Speaking of normal climbing, without big swings or falls. If a climber weighs 200#, how much extra weight is generated by climbing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I picked 200# to be a round ballpark number. I'm actually about 210# dry. Maybe 230# geared up?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
200# is my goal, and I'll be pretty close to that in October. Just in time to put on my winter weight :^D I like rope that stretches like wirerope, and I think I might like my hitches a little slippy. Last time I went up a tree, I tried my 10mm Ocean on 11mm Mercury just for the lulz using the Innovation hitch. I was expecting it to be crap, but it actually worked pretty well. It would slip a touch when first set ascending, but all it took was tiny little twist to get it to hold. Another tiny twist the other way to descend. It's like working a knob. I need to spend more time with it, but I liked how it worked on the short climb.

A climber shouldn't weigh 200 pds.

I am 86 kg in my undercrackers. That is 190lbs. Stick on my PPE and the minimal kit I take up there with me and I will be well over 200lbs.

I might as I am 6’4” tall and pretty lean.

or are you saying all climbers should be 165lbs and racing whippets?

man rather then google it up...help me here treepeople...200# is close to 100kgs??(in my numbers at least)
That is a big man, plus everything and a 10kgs saw???
that would be......????

Strength and stamina matter more than weight, but lighter weight really helps. I've been over 200 since i was 23 or so, but I'm pretty strong and know how to use my body to conserve energy. Heavy weightlifting for sports combined with tons of endurance training when i was younger made me filled out, so i move slowly but get a lot done when i get there. I'm also not a very good climber, but i can usually get it done. At least till i got sick. Being small is an advantage while climbing, but being bigger isn't a disqualification.

man rather then google it up...help me here treepeople...200# is close to 100kgs??(in my numbers at least)
That is a big man, plus everything and a 10kgs saw???
that would be......????
It's about 88 kg.
I'm at 84 kg but I don't qualify for the fat class at all. I was at 78 kg since forever before I took some muscles in the trees. My height is 1.98 m, so something like 6'7".

lxskllr, I did an analysis of your exact question over at , ahem, er bzzzzzz titled SRT basal tie forces. Apologies if I've sinned.

Back