Anybody know stuff about camcorders?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 13
  • Views 2K
B

Blinky

I need a camcorder since Bryce is shaping up to play D1 or D2 lacrosse. We've moved him to a better school with one of the best coaches in the state and his chances of winning a state championship are excellent. He's getting tons of exposure already.

I shoot a lot of stills at the games but college coaches want video and I don't know a hell of a lot about it.

I don't want to spend more than $600 and preferably that would include a second battery. I'm not picky about brand but I already trust Sony and Canon.

My priorities are:
- Minimum of 10X OPTICAL zoom
- OPTICAL Image stabilization (probably have to compromise on this one)
- Flash Media
- 30P (native?) frame rate for capturing action
- Low light capability (looks like this is the one thing I won't be able to afford... but i still want it)
- I may add to this list, I can't think of everything right now.

Here's what I'm looking at so far...

Canon VIXIA HF M31
$644@B&H
Over budget but apparently a lot of camera for the money?

Canon VIXIA HF R11
$559@B&H
An older model, used to be top of the line prosumer.

Canon VIXIA HF21
$599@B&H till the 31st of August
B&H is fire saling this camera for some reason, it's over $800 everywhere else.

Sony HDR-CX110 HD Handycam
$479

Sony HDR-CX150 16GB HD Handycam
$549

So if any of you have one of these cameras or a variation thereof, tell me what you like and don't like about it. If you know of another camera in my range that's you think is worth looking at, tell me.

Not sure how relative this is but I got a battery

for my Kodak camera off Ebay for a few bucks.

Works great, lasts longer and was shipped from the USA.

Had it in a couple days.

Stoked.

I have the Sony Handicam DCR-SR68; not top of the line, but pretty decent, and I haven't really found any gripes with it. 60x optical zoom, 2000x digital zoom, 80gb storage, etc.

Chip,

I know nothing about camcorders but as a high school lacrosse coach I can offer some advice on the issue. Here in Mass there are a couple of companies that will follow your child to his tournaments and games and film him and then edit a nice recruiting vid. Typically runs about $500. A lot less work for you and possibly a better result. I can't make any promises but I'll see if I can track down a website. Don't know if the same service would be available in NC.

How big is your son now? I know he was fast. Size might limit his D1 chances. Sounds exciting nonetheless.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep Mike, he's strong and quick but not tall, 5'-7", 160#; he's in weight training now and going for 170#. Grew up playing close D but played LSM last year and seems to like it. He's wicked on ground balls and passing. He's been to a few recruiting camps and is apparently still a force to be reckoned with on close... big guys don't bother him because he's a knife fighter, precise, tough as nails and he'll mix it up with pretty much anybody; routinely makes good attackers look like they can't hold onto the ball.

It would be cool to get someone professional to produce a video and $500 sounds cheap. How many games do they film? I'm pretty sure my results will be either on-time but mediocre or, waaay late and kickass.

Carl, that's the current favorite, thanks for finding it at that price. I'm feeling a little froggy this AM, might have to jump soon.

Hell I'm thinking of ordering one. Seems like wicked good quality for an affordable price. However I was thinking about the HF S21. They can be had under a grand and seem to give up little to the M31.

It's advantages are twice the internal memory (64GB), 2 SD slots, 6MP video (vs 3mp), 3.5" touch screen LCD, and viewfinder (if you like that kinda thing).

Downsides are only 10x/200x zoom, about 6oz heavier, and a little bigger. I'd think with 6MP video, the digital zoom would be more useful, however.

Thinking about it more, two angles may be more betterer than one for just a little more money.

Yep the HF S21 was the last one off the short list, it's about perfect except for the zoom and price. How much have you found it for?

Yeah but I was trying mooch off Carl's brain power and get him to do it for me... and you ruined it! :what:

Actually I did and I'm getting prices that are way higher than the M31 so I'm thinking he know's something.

Naw, they're like a grand, but 5 years from now when I'm still using it, will I care about the $400 is how I look at it. Then I wondered if I'd rather have 2 angles for $1100, or one killer camera for $1k, or one camera for $550.

Can't help ya Chip, as, since I got my 5D Mkll and 7d, both of which shoot full HD video, I'm out of the market for a video camera.

I'm sure the Vixia units are excellent....

Back