An Interesting Read...

I'm sure they wouldn't make that big of a mistake on size, and probably would be certain it will hit IF it was going to hit. 2029 is supposed to have a "large" and "close" asteroid, which when you think about it, will likely not be visible, and very roughly at the same distance as the moon: maybe 50-400kmi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just a short story - read it.

And we never know what can happen. An asteroid can come at us undetected from the direction of the sun and we'd have maybe hours until impact.

Remember, we were made from stars.

Talking about doomsday, planet killing asteroids, catastrophic climate change, and the best we can come up with is plans to relocate onto a planet that is pockmarked with asteroid craters and has no livable atmosphere.

Brilliant!

It just might be time for people to start thinking for themselves instead of letting others do it for them.

If you investigate and then choose to adopt other's ideas, isn't that thinking for yourself?

Not in my thinking. It is a form of gaining knowledge, and a good one. But, if having done your research, you find that the other ideas don't make any sense, what you do next will determine if you have given any thought on that subject. Being able to recognize incongruities, understanding that two bad choices will not lead you in the right direction, is the point where thinking may, for some, start.

Read and regurgitate is far too common. The world is full of incredibly knowledgeable people that cannot think for themselves.

I wasn’t trying to make lite of your post Butch. Kinda saying I need to concentrate on things I can control.

Please don't, imo.

Afaik, MB welcomes dissenting views, that's why he appreciates the Hong Kong protesters

Edit- I think you are far too quiet around here, Dmc. I'd love to see some of your work pics as you are a highly experienced tree climber

Let's shoot all of our nuclear missiles at it. Kill two birds with one stone, so to speak. Or, kill one stone with many birds, or something like that.

That could dislocate it, maybe not. But that wouldn't modify much it's trajectory. The center of mass still follows its previous travel, it's now just a enormous cloud of debris of all sizes, from dust to mountains. It will come at us to shred our wold, but with an unexpected gift : the radioactivity from all our nuclear missiles. I'm not sure which is worse for the planet (I even don't speak about humans).

It is well written, and could easily convince people, except the mention of future times can somewhat reduce the realism. The best science fiction is that which is very convincing.

I don't need to be convinced. Did War Of The Worlds convince you?

It did not, but I watched some sci fi movie in a class in high school that had a convincing beginning, and one student asked the teacher in the middle of the movie if it was real. It had something to do with radio telescopes finding an alien transmission and building a transportation device.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder what film that was... I'm sure to have seen it, but no bells are ringing.

Yup, pretty cool movie and a plausible premise. Turns out it was all a big hoax by that eccentric billionaire. Or not...

Back