Alone TV series

cory

Tree House enthusiast
Anyone catch it?

I heard good things about season 8 so I'm watching it, I dig it so far.

The premise is 10 contestants are dropped individually into a remote wilderness area (S8 is in BC), each one is allowed to bring 10 survival items of their choosing, they self-film the experience and the person who lasts the longest wins the $.5 million prize.

I've enjoyed other survival shows, mostly Dual Survival with Cody Lundin and some of Naked and Afraid.

Another reality show. The stakes are getting higher and the prizes are getting bigger. Self-filmed over a course. That's an interesting angle. Not being tailed by a cameraman.

Might be worth watching an episode. I know most of the plants in that region.

What kind of time are we talking here? How long would they expect to stay out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The winner apparently lasted 74 days.

Chilkot Lake in BC is jaw dropingly beautiful and has lots of grizz

I believe no guns allowed but bear spray carried on the hip is a requirement

IN the first week they've seen a couple of grizz and lots of bear sign and a cougar

Cody is the real deal! I have been reading about him for a decade or two + in Backpacker Mag long before his fame on the show. Dude is worth listening to.
Alone is a good show but some of the people crack early on and should have never been put in that situation in the first place other than drama and ratings. It take a hardened person to live "alone" out in the bush.

yeah I think it would be a hoot to take one of cody's survival courses in AZ

I'd love too but surviving in AZ is a whole different animal than surviving in WI during a long hard winter. His frozen wool socks might not be up to -20*f cold and that's air temp not wind chill. That could be minus 50/60 degrees, exposed skin won't last long let alone a single layer on your feet. Hopefully it's not a polar vortex year, then it's real cold -30f -50f air temp.
May I remind you this is about an hour at -15f. Image 1.jpg Image 1.jpg

Alone season 8 has just started here in Oz just had the second episode on Sunday. I'm loving it!
I cringe at how easy it looks to injure yourself and how serious that would be, and then it happened to one guy.
The satphone is their only link.and then it means they are leaving.
Everything else is real. How about the bears and wolverines cruising around drawn by the smell of their food kills!!

I just started Season 6 and it is fun af. :dude:

I watched the pilot video to the series. Looks like it would be interesting to watch.

A lot of people think they have the skills to survive in the wild, but the stats show the far majority can't.

Is it just luck that some do?

Damn reality shows, anyway.

Last edited:
I'd say it is having broad and well tuned skills together with the mental fortitude which is probably of paramount importance.

Give the show a whirl, Gerry, it's fun and takes place in some of the most beautiful. remote country. Both seasons I've seen are in BC on huge lakes, the current one is the Great Slave Lake.

I watch it on the puter on the History channel.

Tonite one of the folks bagged a moose via recurve bow and processed the whole thing with a Leatherman! Yikes!

Last edited:
A cool survival show to me would be to drop some poor hillbilly in the middle of NYC or LA. Be best to have him chipped so they could find his remains in a few days, lol.

Watching a series on TV now, they are on Vancouver Island, six out of 10 tapped out within ten days!

The last one I saw was where the lady was medically retired because of frostbite on her feet, she was cool, came second.

Now I'm watching 2 seasons concurrently, doh!

Both are at Great Slave Lake in BC. One season is on Netflix and has no commercials and I'm watching on the big screen tv, a lil nicer than on the puter. Either way, lotta fun and gorgeous country with a good amount of wildlife in it.

Pure misery for those truly struggling.

The psychological aspect of having a way out (sat phone) while trying to persevere in a game of survival, to me, doesn't meet the rigors that would affect your decision making.

Maybe that's too simple of a criticism.

I've read a number of true life survival stories and these reality shows just don't measure up to that. But that's me.

Still fun... and educational to watch. In either situation I'd default to doing the same.

Not just to you, Gerry. It's ragingly artificial risk, to anyone who has pushed the survival envelope even the little bit that I have had to from time to time in pursuing my daily work as a USFS field operative in the PNW Cascade range.

Also agreed, I'd not choose to go into that situation, just for the challenge, or the hope for a fleeting moment of fame. I know intimately how easy it would be to die, quickly, in that sort of scenario.

Foolishness.

I'm watching 2 seasons atm, one pays the winner $500k the other $1m

Not worth dying for...just my opinion at the ripe old age I'm at. If I were 30 years younger, with 30 years less savings and investments that have me some bit ahead of either of those prize amounts...I might see it :D.

Nobody has died on the show

Back