Advice needed on a Second Hand 201T

Wood Collector

TreeHouser
I have found a second hand 201T and was wondering if I should put a bid on it. It is currently at $360. The auction ends in 6hrs The owner has sprayed it with WD40 after each use so the side plastic covers look a bit yellowed. Would it be a simple case of cleaning off all the oil on the plastic with soapy water to remove the oil and yellow color. Below is a link to the auction. It has been serviced regularly.
Thanks for any help that you guys can offer as to if I should get it or not.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/STIHL-MS...sh=item2eea881ffb:g:y4QAAOSwaA5WjNLH#payCntId

^^^ what he said!!

THen bring the number back here, these guys will know.

Feb 2014 is the important date if I remember correctly...after that time they started building them properly!

I do stand to be corrected...but that date seems to stick in my mind

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So in your opinion if it is one of the new correct saws it would be worth taking the gamble or are their still too many risks for your liking?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The other reason that I held off on bidding is that I had no way to tell if it had been abused I only had what the owner told me that it was used for light work.

I would be very sceptical buying a saw that costs that much from a total stranger .I know 300 doesn't sound that high considering new price but it still isn't chump change .

A friend of mine just picked one up from a pawn shop for 250 if I remember correctly, not sure if its old or revised, but for that price I'd still think its a winner. You never know when you might stumble across a deal, or an attractive gamble. .

Worked on chainsaws/small engines for over 50 years and Stihl was always my favorite. That was until I had the "pleasure" of buying a new 201t back in 2012.
Saw was barely broken in and out of warranty when coil went out.
I went to extensive trouble, even got involved with Chris, the Stihl factory rep.
Stihl agreed to replace my factory defective ignition coil, if I would pay dealer labor to change.
OH-- yes he agreed to replace WITH NEW OLD STOCK DEFECTIVE COIL not the Updated coil ! !
Needless to say, I refused their offer and just waited until I could find a good used newer coil off eBay.

Personally, I have washed my hands of all newer Stihl products.

I run a 200t when needed, otherwise my go to saws are Makita/Dolmar.
Some of you might feel the same if you paid upward of $600.00, expecting to get a better saw then the 200t, and discovering Stihl wouldn't fix the early ones with factory defective parts.

I run a 200t when needed, otherwise my go to saws are Makita/Dolmar.
Some of you might feel the same if you paid upward of $600.00, expecting to get a better saw then the 200t, and discovering Stihl wouldn't fix the early ones with factory defective parts.

Hi Giles, yes it certainly rubbed a few of us up the wrong way, there are quite a few threads about the upgrade and the rights and wrongs of having to pay for them.
No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face though, after the upgrade they run super, and the later ones are great.

Hi Giles, yes it certainly rubbed a few of us up the wrong way, there are quite a few threads about the upgrade and the rights and wrongs of having to pay for them.
No point in cutting off your nose to spite your face though, after the upgrade they run super, and the later ones are great.
That's why I bought the last two factory upgraded 201t's that were available where I live..one is stashed away till one day in the future.

That's why I bought the last two factory upgraded 201t's that were available where I live..one is stashed away till one day in the future.
The only "negative" thing about that is that, in my opinion, I think Stihl really screwed up their reputation with the 201t. As a result, I don't think they will ever have or hold the value of a 200t.
I still have a 201t as well as an early model 201t that has been modified with updated parts. I can tell very little difference in the two saws but I still know what I had to go through with the 201t.

The only "negative" thing about that is that, in my opinion, I think Stihl really screwed up their reputation with the 201t. As a result, I don't think they will ever have or hold the value of a 200t.
I still have a 201t as well as an early model 201t that has been modified with updated parts. I can tell very little difference in the two saws but I still know what I had to go through with the 201t.

"I still have a 201t as well as an early model 201t"----
That should have been---I still have a 200t

Back