A lot of chainsaws in Ohio

pigwot

M's, Juniper's, Lowen’s, and Inge’s Grandpa
Hey,
I have been scarce for a while; but had an idea that someone here might be interested in a possibly large number of chainsaws near Wooster and Akron, Ohio.

They belong to a fellow I know who is 95 years old, and no longer repairing chainsaws, lawnmowers, tractors, trucks, steam engines, sawmills, trenchers, loaders, backhoes, and other heavy machinery, as he has done since the 1940s. He has been the go-to person in his area for many folks who needed repairs done on about anything in the home, shop, or field.

His daughter and son-in-law live next door to us. I had made two trips there last summer to help the daughter sort and ready the house and garage for sale. Her Dad and I connected, as one of my early jobs was working at a tractor and farm equipment repair, and I could exhibit a tiny little bit of knowledge (mostly about the Ford 8N and older Massey-Fergusons) compared to his vast knowledge base. He is a living encyclopedia. His collection of antique tools and parts was amazing (he still had a stack of twelve finger-jointed wooden box-enclosed coil and point assemblies for early one ton Model T farm trucks siting there).

The last time I was there I drove him around to several barns and garages and did a quick survey of thousands of items. He kindly gave me nearly 1000 board feet of cherry, oak, and maple from trees he had taken down for folks and then milled (a lot of it sawn on the steam-run sawmill in his little town, that he has maintained for most of his life). He also gave me some nice tools. He just broke his leg badly falling on ice on the way to his car (yes - still driving until three weeks ago!) and is in a nursing home. His daughter has already coordinated selling his home and almost all of his tools and equipment have been sold at auction, along with his last Model T. A large number of lawnmowers (push and riding) and chainsaws remain.

The corner of one large barn has a mound of chainsaws in one corner. There were two Husky 350s tied together right at the edge of the pile. I asked him why he had paired them. He said one had a bad jug and piston, and the other had a bad carb, so he had planned to make one good saw out of the two. He picked them up and said, "Toss them in the back of your truck son". That barn was the fourth site we'd visited, and it was getting late so I didn't really get a good survey of what all was there.

Back in July when we were loading the Rental Truck with the wood he had given me three fellows stopped by and pitched in - he is known by everyone in the county. As we finished up he turned to one fellow and asked what he needed. He knew the young man didn't live there, and that it wasn't just coincidence that he had "happened by". Turns out the fellow's family operates a series of fishing ponds in the north of the county and they needed their golf carts serviced. He was still working at 95 years of age in July.

At that time I only had my old phone which had exited a tree without me and the camera didn't work, or else I would have pictures to post. If you or someone you know might be interested in purchasing a small mountain of chainsaws at I'm sure would be a quite reasonable price, PM me and I will get you in touch with the daughter. Even if 80% of it is scrap metal I'd bet there are some real classics hiding in that pile.

Pat

What water do you think of?

I was thinking of one of the 5000 American chainsaw collectors on that site that might be interested.
On east coast i know many that happily take a trip and have a look if there is older, collecteble stuff.

Hey guys,

I am only @30 miles from that area!!!!

I have Pm'd Pat for more info.

Take care Larry, HOS.

I always miss out these good auctions. Only hear about them a few weeks later.

I missed one a few years ago of a local saw dealer auction. A never used Sachs Dolmar Wankel saw went for a hundred bucks. That saw is worth a mint on the collectors market today.

I missed out on my saw wrench's auction by 12 hours I was PISSED. No idea how they advertised it but man what a pisser! I had been hounding him for at least four years to sell me a 288 lite he had hanging in the rafters, alas I missed out.

Back