592XP

I wonder why they did away with their original huge quiet mufflers that their first line of saws had. I heard about it in one of their videos about the 592, and I had always wondered about the big long muffler on the old saws. That's how I would still do it today; have the muffler stick out and down past the tank. I guess too many people got burned by the old husqies that governments may have banned the design?

Last edited:
I wonder why they did away with their original huge quiet mufflers that their first line of saws had. I heard about it in one of their videos about the 592, and I had always wondered about the big long muffler on the old saws. That's how I would still do it today; have the muffler stick out and down past the tank. I guess too many people got burned by the old husqies that governments may have banned the design?
Maybe because of starting fires.

Even damp moss can dry and burn with a flush muffler on bucking cuts, seemingly mostly on stump cuts.

I didn't got fire while bucking, but ambers, certainly. The muffler shouldn't touch anything theoretically, but a bulge or a ridge on the trunk can make contact. A good layer of moss is enough, even with a well shaped trunk.

I've gotten dead English ivy smoldering before. I think it was the hot muffler, and not embers.

Agree on the "snappiness" and the noise too. Best running saw out of the box I've owned. My 394xp has been relegated to the shelf for the most part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I didn't think I wanted one, until I ran one. I might end up with one at work. One was assigned to a crew leader, but I think he wants a 500i. Maybe it will trickle down to me, being the only person on the crews that is a boat anchor aficionado. I'd put the 28" light bar off the 390 on it.:D

ive got a lightweight 32" bar on mine, it balances perfectly and rips in any hardwoods. I'll bet it flat out owns a 28"

Maybe because of starting fires.

Even damp moss can dry and burn with a flush muffler on bucking cuts, seemingly mostly on stump cuts.
One saw shop told me it was noise decibels, leading to operations fatigue. That could make sense. My opinion is like everything else they want to choke everything down for smog. Most people don't realize the majority of fires probably spark from the bar and chain. I found that out how they spark, did not start a fire. But when I cut trees out of the road in storms etc, for the county. In the middle of the night or like 2 am. It's surprising you can get some sparks.

Back