2 in 1 fliplines?

WoodCutr

Treehouser
does anybody here use a 2 in 1 wirecore flipline? I sorta tried on yesterday ( carabiner in un used thimble, with a hip prusik in the middle) and it works alright, the issue I have it when switching ends, I have to constantly fight it (connect end B, move prusik [the issue I have] to load end B, remove end A, repeat

getting that prusik to slide around seems like a 5 arm operation, after a while I just started using my second lanyard, anyone got any tips for me? TIA

I never cared for a 2in1 lanyard. I used a 12' with a swabisch and the tail of my climb line if I needed a second lanyard.

If you're in a situation where a 2 in 1 would be helpful, maybe you just need a second short lanyard. 2 independent 12 footers would be manageable and pretty cheap.

mines 40ft, call me crazy, I set it up for SRT and DRT, best lanyard ive ever used
There is no way I would use a 40'er. I worked with a guy who uses a 40' and all I saw was more lanyard management than work. Just sayin if it works for you awesome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ive thought about it, im going to get a 15ft 5/8 maxiflip next time I order a wirecore, so I will have my 10ft as a secondary one, or use it like the buckingham treesqueeze

There is no way I would use a 40'er. I worked with a guy who uses a 40' and all I saw was more lanyard management than work. Just sayin if it works for you awesome!
ive got a 15ft as well, just like the 40 too much lol, if its a job where im not using a second tie in point then ill grab the shorty, it stays in the gear bag till I need it

Two in one lanyards are pretty lame, in my opinion. When it’s time to use the other side, it’s seldom the right length. Can’t really use a micropulley to tend it without it being setup to release when loaded from the other side, which means either adjusting the hitch with both hands or spending more time dicking around with biners and pulleys than it’s worth. I’ve never tried the Gibbs Klimair doohickey though. That might change things.

Definitely worth keeping a normal length and a long lanyard in the bag. I got a 35’ Velocity that Brocky spliced. It’s not an everyday lanyard, but on the days I use it, it’s incredibly helpful. More like a 2nd climbing system that I might remove and reset a few times throughout a big spreading canopy. I always have a 15’ or so lanyard too. If my climbing line isn’t set in the TIP yet, then my climbing line is the 2nd lanyard. Nice for spur climbing when I gotta bypass stuff. When I break out the long lanyard, I’m probably carrying the regular lanyard too.

I am not an everyday climber by any means, but i run a 60 foot double ended blaze lanyard in a new tribe bag. I use them as multiple lanyards as needed working over obstacles, as multiple positioning points while cutting, srt redirects, a second climbing system all ready to go, a grapple line, and even a very light rigging to hold something while i cut and then throw by hand. The tails, aka a big loop, just get shoved in the bag, and tucking slack is super easy to do so you never have tails hanging. I'll often switch to wire on the larger diameter stuff, depending on what's going on, but for climbing the spreading and leaning hardwoods here it helps.

Two In One was (years ago) a waste of money and time as well as the Klimair ... I always have two lanyards w Gibbs's on my saddle since then

Last edited:
I always have two lanyards w Gibbs's on my saddle since then
you got any tricks for adjusting a mechanical adjuster? ive switched over to a hip prusik because it feels more natural, messing with that ropegrap over about 15ft is not a good feeling, only good thing ive found is it wont milk the cover of my flipline down to one end

Not difficult , either lean in slightly to make one hand adjustments or use two hands just like "passing the snap"

Last edited:
Not difficult , either lean in to make adjustments or use two hands just like "passing the snap"
thats what I do, I find it feels more like ill gaff out than anything ive ever done, probably going to stick with my hip prusik lol

can you give a slight explanation to "passing the snap"?
also, I need to buy the book lol

Not that I am anyone to learn from but I generally get first safety slung positive and climb , by the time its at even or negative I'm slinging the second safety to positive (unless it's an easy flip) ... drop first safety for reslinging next position, repeat until old.

thats what I normally do, works good, lower Ds save a ton of trouble doing that, since your systems can be seperated, and also keep both lanyard adjusters on opposite sides (main lanyard on right, second on left)

Im just going to add my 2 cents just in case someone in the future can use the information. I started with a English prusik or 3 wrap or 6 fingers wrap total for my hip prusik for my 2 in 1 but found that to be to much of a pain to adjust. I took a wrap out and that seams to make things alot more manageable. It still holds just as good as the 3 wrap I'm able to adjust my ends more easily.

An idea I just had is that 2 hip prusiks will be able to adjust both ends of the lanyard to whatever length you need. I think that is something I will try and report back.

Make your day amazing

Two prusiks is an interesting idea. I'm interested in hearing what you think. Nicer for balancing load without jockeying the line around, but more hassle trying to pass an end around limbs or whatever. The symmetry could be handy also. Both sides work exactly the same.

Are you carrying two lanyards plus a climbing line?
depends, like today I did for 1 tree, and just a lanyard for another tree

the one today had funky lean, vines all over it, and I had a spot to put my second lanyard to stay in place and not spin around the limb I was on

(second picture, spar going out to the left (not the one im on) is what im on in the first picture, for reference, pictures are to show lean and vines))

1643063883316.png 1643063903132.png

How's your hitch working out? You get all that straight?
its the only hitch ive had work on scion
the ropewrench is smooth as butter, got that, a saka, and new spurs a few weeks ago, the saka is worth every penny as well used it all day today doing 2 prunes, and the new spurs on one small removal

once I get a little spare change scraped up, if arbsession still has their deal on the treemo and drenaline I will get it, give my sentinel and scion to my dad, and eventually get a unicender

Back