Who all is Going to Kelowna , Eh

• Thread starter TREECYCLE
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 6K
ok. we got up hereat about 1, pub lunch, check in, pub dinner. TCC was finalizing setup, helped with gear check for the 20 or so climbers, off to my buddies place for the night, back at the TCC for 0630 then outdoor day of conference after 0900.

ok. got back to the tcc site at 0620 this morning to help with final setup, texted squishie about his whereabouts then talked to him on the cell and saw him in the crowd at about 0830 or so he kinda looks like garth brooks, we had a chat and hung out for a bit cruising the tcc stations, we hit a couple talks that were going on and got separated but met up again mid day.

it was frigging cold this morning, 2C and windy at 0620, up to about 10C in the shade by noon, 15C by late afternoon.

after the tcc I helped tear down the station for masters climb, dan kraus won, not by a long shot but his climb was fluid and smooth. The one gal in the competition made the masters by default and just had to set a line in the tree to qualify to go to the ITCC. She fought a line in and then fought her way to the top target bell and fought her way to a lower bell before coming out of the tree and dragging her gear out, just overtime but apparently it counts so she gets the choice to go to the next ITCC and she gets the winners loot from the tcc, including a bigshot and a pile of other nice stuff, good for her for gutting it out and doing something she never does at work, she is a greenhouse tech and grows plants for a botanical show garden, she expressed interest in climbing and the 2 arborists (one competitor and 1 mentor) from the gardens helped her practice etc. she got some of the loudest applause of all.

Got to see talks on the field from ed gilman, francisco ferrini and mario lanthier, good info. Then an informal reception / munchies session with a slideshow of julian dunster's trip to China and hong kong.

tomorrow is classroom time with the speakers and a gala banquet for supper. :)

That's cool about Dan Krause, he's a super nice guy. I got to help him do a speedline demo here at the Boise PNW ISA gig last year. Where's the show gonna be next year?

ok, today I met Lonny the tree truck guy, Squishie's wife and saw the hunk of wood that Treecycle brought for the silent auction, last I saw it was at $400 an hour or so before the auction bidding ended. haven't met treecycle yet, not sure what he looks like, show yourself !! :)

Squishy met tribaltreeguy (an MIA member from years ago) treeguyswife and treeguy, I got to see treeguyswife, treeguy and treeguyswife'skid :)
Otherwise I had a good day of seminars and lunch the seminars then banquet dinner (sat with Squishy, his wife, Lonny the tree truck guy, Scott a local tree man and Ed Carpenter. I got to introduce Squisher to some of the bigwigs at the event and we spent a few mins at the pub nearby before supper.

oh, I dont think I mentioned it yet but I also saw a former member, Luc, he used to carry his gear and rope in a hardshell suitcase, still does actually, I mentioned he should come on by the treehouse if he gets some free time, he said he would consider it.

back at it tomorrow morning at 0700 for the continental breakfast, then 3 hours of further learnin and off at about noon. might be home by 5 or 6.

gnight yall!

ha, sure. we sat at the same table at the gala dinner. he gave a couple talks at the field day.

Luc, dont remember his screen name but I remember he had is ropes etc in an old hard shell suitcase.

Attachments

• P1010054.JPG
    P1010054.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 25
Ed seemed like a nice guy, you sure he's a friend of yours OTG?:P

He did a good job on his presentations. One on spar pole rescue and one on ergonomics and some demoing of SRT if memory serves.

It was great to finally put a few faces to names and a big thank-you to Paul for showing me the ropes and introducing me to people, really helped to make it a good time.

It was nice seeing you guys for a few minutes - Squisher, it was great to meet you and put a face to the name. Sorry I couldn't be a bit more social. As you could see, Tree Tyke was keeping me busy as usual.

I think next years is in Tacoma? Tree Guy and Tree Guy's dad may go. I don't think I will since we'll have 2 kids at that point.

It was nice to meet you too, and Treeguy, and Tree Tyke. The whole thing seemed like a bit of a whirlwind to me. I had a good time.

Squish, no probs, hope I didnt make you shake hands with too many new folks :)

TGW, no, its unlikely I will go to Tacoma but I will save my pennies to do my best to make it to the international TCC and conference in Portland in 2011! :) Nice to see you shortly also, I cant believe how fast treetyke has grown!

indeed. Willie, its too bad you didnt make it up, you could have heard the ISA president elect (Colin Bashford) tell us that fracture pruning and coronet cuts might be the way to go (after he pimped Arbtalk... :) ) then on the last seminar a prof out of berkely UCLA basically said Shigo was completely wrong, with Judy Shigo (Alex's daughter) in the room. lots of confused faces during that talk. at the end when there were questions after the fellow had quoted a handful (3) of documented papers from roughly 90 years ago that said that flush cuts sealed faster than collar cuts, Judy asked him, " did you do any research as to the decay behind the closed wounds?" and his answer was no. I talked to her about 10 minutes later as she was leaving the building, she smiled and said she had seen his talk before, she was surprised we didnt boo him out of the building, as she had seen before at other chapters. :) His biggest deal was that he claimed Shigo's research was observational and biased vs the papers he found that were published and accepted by peers. whatever.

Was there any off topic stuff like obesity, global warming etc? I try to support the PNW chapter but they make it hard for me to want to:dur:

global warming? yup. I think two speakers touched on the climate change thing.

one fella said by 2080 that the temps in victoria would average at 40C in the summer and the frost days would be basically gone in the winter.

I have the conference powerpoints on a USB stick, was part of the giftbag at registration, if you want the info, send me a 1 Gig USB stick and I will copy it and mail it back to you. :)

Thanks for the offer, i'm currently over CEU'd and heading up to Tualitin for a 1 day class next Wednesday. Mostly for applicater CEU's but there are ISA ones also

you go.

the powerpoints wont get you any CEU's but it might open your eyes to some different thoughts. :)
Offer stands to other housers. :)

Was there any off topic stuff like obesity, global warming etc? I try to support the PNW chapter but they make it hard for me to want to:dur:

You've noticed that trend as well. Gets kind of old, seems like more and more of the seminars turn into an indoc session for the greens, and Obama worshippers.

Back