What's your analysis of this accident?

Robert P

TreeHouser
Fall about 2:16 - the resolution isn't good but after tossing aside his flipline it looks like his secondary attachment either wasn't correctly setup or broke. As soon as he goes to put his weight on it taking a step down he falls.

Is it common practice to blow off the flipline like that? My understanding is you want to be attached at 2 points as much as possible. What about that hopping around on the spikes he can be seen doing?

What F-ups do you see?

Thoughts, analysis, comments?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ybiBbvw8XI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Didn't successfully connect to his new life support system. Poor technique to spur up pruning trees, then spurring up again, so as to paint the cuts.

Always visually and by-feel, check your life support connections and systems. Put weight into your new life support system, check it, then slack your original life support system and disconnect.

I can't see what he did to fall, poor fugger.

I can't believe he re-spured the tree to "paint the cuts."

Lordy!

yeesh. . . I'm with Sean, looks like he missed the connection on his Lanyard and his secondary was not connected either. Look, Listen, Feel, right?

There can be a lot of snaps and carabiners flying around, super important to pay attention to what you are doing, take the necessary time, be focused, calm, and patient. At least for me anyways.

Add fatigue and dehydration to him doing things most likely the hard way all around (if he's still so backward to be painting cuts, and didn't even do it on the way down). Working solo maybe. At least he's not going to be waiting on the fire department to recover his body from a bleeding out in the tree.

Robert P...just an observation here and thoughts from a noob and I have no idea what your experience is in tree climbing.

I'd be more confident in your learning curve if you were asking questions about training videos and videos of climbing/tree work being properly done instead of videos of failures or poorly performed climbing/work.

It kinda looked like he unclipped to go around a branch and slipped. Maybe I missed something. This guy is obviously a idiot by the looks of the vid. I'm sure there are plenty of vids on the tree house of people doing proper work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Robert P...just an observation here and thoughts from a noob and I have no idea what your experience is in tree climbing.

I'd be more confident in your learning curve if you were asking questions about training videos and videos of climbing/tree work being properly done instead of videos of failures or poorly performed climbing/work.

Analyzing screwups seems worthwhile as well with the goal of not emulating them.

Boy that's hard to watch and listen to. It was obviously not his first climb, the guy was smooth as silk going up, not so much coming down. I feel for him.

Yeah, something in the tone of that whole vid reminded me of myself after about one summer climbing too. That poor guy man... I hope to God he heals well.

His first mistake was filming himself. "Hey watch this."

Yeah, I'm kinda glad that my $13,000.00 carport wasn't on film last winter. :|:

Oh, Cory, sorry man, I had forgot to mention: it was a 7 ton sewn eye nylon choker (you know: the flat kind. Not the nice endless ones). In retrospect, I shoulda been using steel, or at least cut a notch for it. Then the nylon wouldn't have squirted out.

How's it going Darin?

Things are good, the kid is 10 and 5' 8." We bought a new place here with about an acre so I can more easily run the business. I'm paying all my bills and my business is growing every year. I have a a whopping three employees, one of which is a pretty good climber. All in all, can't complain.

Good to hear, Darin.
Also good to see more posts from you. I have missed you sorely and feared we'd lost you completely to evil facebook.

It felt right going away for a bit and it feels right posting more now. I've always enjoyed the folks here.

The quality in full screen is not good, but it appears he unclips and lets his lanyard drop, and it appears his climb line was not around anything, as it came down with him.

Back