Watering in Newly Planted Trees

read A300. soil should be settled in layers, instead of 'burping' all the backfill at once.

sticking the shovel in there like that will damage roots, if they were pulled out of the rootball.

If they were left circling the rootball, that's a worse problem.

dirt rings can cause big problems later on; kinda like staking.

did you get this vetted by rathjens and your other homeboys?

read A300. soil should be settled in layers, instead of 'burping' all the backfill at once.

sticking the shovel in there like that will damage roots, if they were pulled out of the rootball.

If they were left circling the rootball, that's a worse problem.

dirt rings can cause big problems later on; kinda like staking.

did you get this vetted by rathjens and your other homeboys?

Dirt rings are absolutely fine, as once the tree is rooted in they can be done away with.

I'd hesitate to tell some long standing Asian gardeners I know to stop using dirt rings. :wall: They hire me to help them on occasion, very specific about their methods and the rings are a standard practice.

Guys statement is right. Dirt rings CAN cause probs later.

In my experience playing thousands of trees at TreePeople, the value of the soil berm far exceeds the potential risk.

If you use them, make them wide enough that when they are dispersed evenly over the roots, it isn't it going to have the effect of having planted the tree too deeply.

love
nick

Sorry bonner i thought you drove in a dark green truck with a 5-letter name on it. :? if so, richard is in kent.

how high are those rings in japan? if they are not too compacted or too tall, they are not too bad.

Dirr says remove after need is gone; a year or two? Just like staking...that removal seldom happens.

some mexicans here make em a foot tall, of solid clay, then whack em tight with shovels. :X

Killing trees with calderas.

thanks for getting my back there nick. ;)

Guy, the ones that I have seen and even participated in myself when helping out the gardeners, were simply slightly raised mounds around the tree to hold in the initial heavy watering. Never saw them being compacted or looking to be anything made to be permanent.

Geeze I just dig a hole large enough the roots fit in,shovel in top soil and dump a bucket of water on it .They usually make it .Natures little tree planters also known as squirrels don't do that much .They just forget where they buried the nut .

Gardeners I see also put a layer of composted mulch on the top of the soil above the newly planted root ball. The slight raised ring seems purposeful in containing that as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I mentioned in the video, we plant that tree with a 1 year roots to shoots guarantee. If it isnt to the customers satisfaction, alive and vibrant at any point within the first year; we replant it, no charge for either time nor materials. We dont use the method shown to impress people or for any reason other than it has proven itself to work with the type of trees and environmental conditions found in our area.

If anyone thinks they can encapsulate, in a single video under 2 minutes, a teachable method that is appropriate in every single presentable scenario and for all types of trees/conditions than by all means have at it! I believe in the information presented and its effectiveness. I also believe that I caveated the information with a statement to the effect of:

Screen Shot 2013-07-14 at 2.29.34 PM.png

I think Nick's video is fine and dandy. Atleast he is taking time to offer material to better the industry.

I think Nick's video is fine and dandy. At least he is taking time to offer material to better the industry.

Definitely agree; just wanted to see how common the ring thing is. A minor consideration really compared to the good stuff in there.
Sounds like they do it well in Japan, too. I also like to cover up to the flare with a thin layer of compost. Gilman did a study that showed leaving that area bare had better results. but like the man says there's lotsa ways to do it successfully.

Back