Underwater!

rbtree

Climbing Up
Client called, needing a flat spot in a support log, to mount a steel connecting structure. He requested a series of vertical cuts, so that the divers could chisel out the needed notch. I had to sit on the doubled 2x8's, bracing one foot in a hole in a cross wise submerged log, and the other on the twin 2x4's they temporarily set for me. I found that I had to cut with the a pushing chain (top of the bar), in order to direct the bulk of the water away from the carburetor, as it got drowned out quickly with normal cutting. However, the water then did a good job of drenching me... hench the ditched safety glasses.

I was glad to be able to make the cuts with the Stihl 660 and 36" bar, as the massive Husqvarna 3120, with either 42 or 60" bars, would have been more difficult to use, and wouldn't have fit in the tight spot as well.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GND_t9bGWWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10410342_10203252731251836_3847480360211589820_n.jpg

10421566_10203252732051856_544493172694279523_n.jpg
10496143_10203253021699097_2913937604554619920_o.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It kept my hair dry......

and da PPE popo's at bay. None here..but at da Buzz...Lordy..

So, do the Buzzer's also wear a helmet when they cut firewood? Crikey.

Seriously, is a helmet supposed to be worn when operating a chainsaw? I'm not talking about treework, but simply doing something like what you were doing. What does OSHA say?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really could care less, and as a biz owner, OSHA can take a flying leap..... that said, I have too many times being on display helmetless.

I s'pose I coulda slipped off that beam and cracked my noggin on something.

Rog, were's the mask and fins? ha, is a mask considered PPE? lol

nice gig Big RB

They say a helmet could keep severe kickback off your head/forehead

Technically it can. I have a hard hat with tiger stripes on it from a 660 jumping at my head 5 minutes to quitting time on a Friday when I was a logger.

Well, why stop there? How 'bout a full body armored suit? I say ear and eye protection is all that's necessary.

I don't wear a hard hat if simply running a saw. I was logging when it happened. I'm just saying that they do offer some fashion of saw protection for those inclined to shoot a saw at their scalp.

Rog, you should rig a snorkel on that thing like they do the bog trucks. That's usually when it happens Chris, Friday afternoon. From what I've heard about you it would've just threw a few sparks and dulled the chain up a little if you hadn't been wearing the lid:lol:. My wife says I'd have to replace the chain if it hit my noggin.

Bad? No. Hardheaded, maybe. I like to call myself uncompromising, it sounds more sophisticated than hardheaded. I stick to my guns when I'm right which is pretty much all the time:D

Back