Tsunami warning

Trees and shit are "natural" and wash ashore all the time... processed lumber ain't, and is usually removed when found.

Gary

The first time I came out west and walked along the Pacific shore somewhere just south of Crescent city, the amount of driftwood on the beach made a big impression on me.
That was 30 years ago, seem like erosion control works better today, one usually doesn't see so many trees and rootballs washed up.

But then on occasion:

driftwood.jpg

Yes. I came across a blog where a fellow regularly does beach milling, up in Washington state. I asked him that very question about sand being a problem. He said that in most instances, it isn't as big an issue as one might expect. No doubt he must be a bit choosy about what he sinks his chains into.

Not having done it myself, I would have thought a pressure washer with a water tank on your truck would sure make things easier, if you could get close enough to what you wanted to mill. Maybe even pressure washing with sea water would be better than nothing. I expect that there are logistical difficulties.

Years ago I had a hand in converting some nice drift logs into firewood rounds here on the OR coast. Hard on chain, that was.

I got talked into doing that while living in California.
Spent more time filing than sawing.
A semi chisel chain would have been nice for that.

Jay, I found the picture on the internet. I use it to impress danes with the size of PNW trees.
Like: this is the stuff they just leave for the gulls, how big do you think the stuff they actually bother to mill is?:lol:

Somewhere I have some "on paper" photos of a redwood rootwad my wife and I found upside down on the beach. I swear it is the size of a tennis court, almost.

Back