Tree Defects Revealed By Wind Events

• Thread starter Frax
  • Start date
  • Replies 9
  • Views 1K
F

Frax

I am new here. So hello everyone. I am a production arborist from Calgary.

Most of you Eastern arbs are pretty familar with significant wind events having been through some wild ones this summer and fall. We had our own on Sunday. And like was observed out east, poor planting and root defects were major reasons for why this tree fell here and that one one nearby did not.

I'd like to share tonight's blog post http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2011...-29-2011-wind-mageddon-revealing-tree-truths/
as a way of introduction and also because storm damage work is a particularly intriguing part of our jobs. I hope you enjoy.

Some real good notes in your blog there, Nora. Much of which is helpful to folks in identifying defects in their trees and possible trouble down the line. Bravo

Welcome!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi Dylan

We are and will continue to be for awhile. But we are off today. Snow and roads are bad. It will be more spruce pick up sticks rest of week and through Saturday for sure. We don't usually get so much excitement here in Cowtown.

I remember a storm a while back, it was a wet snow in late May, when most of the trees had leaves. Busy busy for a while.

So mostly spruce failures, eh? I looked at a dandy spruce in Glamorgan in the fall some deadwooding and clearance, I wonder if its still standing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was 2006 Dylan. Every Shubert choke cherry got turned into a weeping form. They still look funny today.
I did a climbing inspection of a massive spruce over a very expensive target. Big McMansion. Recommended removal. I wonder if it removed itself onto the hosue.

Speaking of Schuberts, the one in my Mom's backyard came back pretty well. Though I was up at 6 shaking the hell outta the poor thing to get the snow off. Though in years following, a large canker has formed and a medium sized limb died on the lower bole. Perhaps root related. Weird.

Sorry for the derail.

Back