Throw away your spurs and ascenders

I didn't say I wasn't thrilled, I merely quoted Queen Victoria: " We are not amused"

I was referring to Sillett.....Sillett.............Sillett........!

That some fool thinks it is cool to free climb redwood trees and post videos of it doesn't ruffle my hair. I've climbed my share, though in all fairness I must say, I've spent more time in the Sequoias.Never got to climb any difficult Redwoods, which is kind of a joke on me, since I lived in Humboldt county for some years in the 80es. Had I only known Jerry back then...........................

But Steve Sillett sure does piss me off!

If you haven't done so already, read Preston's. " The wild trees".

Notice two things.
Sillett was the first and only to explore the canopy of the redwood forest, even though our buddy Jerry was there before Steve Sillett was even in kindergarden.

Second, even though Preston clearly hero worships Sillett in the biggest way, he can't keep him from coming off as a freakish caracter in the book.

That freak managed to land himself a professorship at HSU.

I've taught karate at Humboldt State University for years and had a pretty good opinion of it, but making Sillet a professor has altered that.

Chris, you just managed to step on an anthill ( Texas fire ants!!) that you probably didn't even know existed.

I suggest you use Sillett in the search function here, and get some background on why some of us has a somewhat strained relationship with the God of Redwoods.

You don't hang here so much, so it is quite logical that you are not aware of the feelings towards the scientist who thinks that anybody but himself climbing Redwoods will cause untold damage, but has his wedding in the top of one of the biggest ones, guests and all.

Not to mention the wedding night consumation part of that story :).

Now, that is actually something that I have been wishing to try.:)

The attitude of, "I'm the expert and the only one knowledgable enough to make decisions on this, therefore never question me" is prevalent throughout society today. Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean they're not stupid. It also brings out an amazing level of arrogance in some people, a huge number of which are politicians and government officials.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Piled higher and Deeper :lol:

Back