The secured footlock...?

Zero Signal

TreeHouser
I usually ascend with a foot ascender and home made double line rope walker, but lately I've been looking for something that was hopefully more efficient. I've never footlocked a double rope but it looks like it could be the ticket. So, tell me anything I need to know! I already have a footlock prussik, a 54" OP. I need a figure 8. I have it in my head to footlock up and switch to a hitch/pulley when I get aloft. I can descend on that, but I want the figure 8 in case I need to bail out quick/before I switch over or whatever. I've already read not to get to close to the limb/crotch you're over because of the rope spreading. Is there any reason to even up the rope once you're over the limb/crotch? Anything else you can throw in?

When you arrive at your final position, strop in and take off the footlock Prussik. Then get your groundy to pull below the pulley that you will pre set on the ground, and he can pass your system up to you.
Jake8)

not bad. An even better option in my mind is to bring your work positioning system with you (if you have two ropes) that way you can leave your access line where it is in case you need a rescue or another climber is coming up.
Even better, for me, is to learn SRT techniques. That way you can access and work position using only one system:)

Big tall trees are in order for this old school technique. I think the only guys who use it today are the tree competition climbers

Having an access line is a good move , i use one for nearly every tree and just leave it in as i work.
srt for access all the way , the only time i foot lock is for a competition and sometimes if its a perfect foot lock line.
at the ripe age of 23 i have a small issue with my knee and if i do to much foot locking it flares up.
I try not to do it to much but do think its a good technique to learn.

If you don't have a good perch below t.i.p. then use a different method unless you bring an entire separate system. Trying to hang from your flip line while re rigging sucks

If you don't have a good perch below t.i.p. then use a different method unless you bring an entire separate system. Trying to hang from your flip line while re rigging sucks

Yes it does! Can you imagine being stuck if you dropped your descesder and/or rope and stuck on a flipline! Lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thanks for mentioning this, it's definitely something I thought of. I don't climb for work, so I don't have a ground guy, but there's always someone around in case I did something stupid like drop my rope:D
I only have one length of rope. I plan on learning SRT, but I'd rather learn that from someone rather than on my own, so that's not going to happen right at this moment. Footlocking I can do with stuff I have already.

If you use a long enough friction saver then you will be able to climb much closer to the crotch. An adjustable one would be perfect, so that you could get the two rings as close to the branch as possible while still having them touch. Reducing that spread by a ton.

Back