Sudden Euc Death, and more

treelooker

Treehouser
See http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/fungi-pictures/32277-sudden-euc-death.html for the ignominious skewering I sustained at the hands of a brilliant but haughty (seems to be a genetic trait) dutchman at whose feet we laid our efforts to date. not as bad tying in with a backup biner, but bad enough.

We finally connected with a govt mycologist who is kind of in Shigo's old position, who said "It should be possible to identify any microfungi isolated from the cankered tissue. If we identified some known pathogens, then this would give a good indication of what is causing the cankers.

However collecting specimens and doing the initial isolations is beyond my resources. If joebob can do this, then we might get an answer. I am sorry but I don't have time next Monday for the field visit.
So yes, drop the samples here and we'll give it a go."

Any idea what "initial isolations" means? Separating tissues out and culturing in a dish? What how where? Ack.

We've reached out to the world authority on Chrysoporthe (now apparently redivided into other genera via DNA analysis it seems) named Gryzenhout, and await help from her or anywhere. SOS!

Guy,

I read through the thread on the sudden Euc/Gum death y'all are concerned about. Mr. Fungus started out OK but managed to develop a pretty good case of horse's ass...he reads like a very knowledgeable but pompous white tower kind of person.

It sounds like you and Cassian are at the forefront of possibly a large approaching problem. Much of what you discussed zipped by me but I understand the process you are trying to follow. Too bad Fungus can't be willing to continue to help with his input...I read him as having ego issues that prevent him from helping solve a developing problem.

Keep the faith and let us know how this evolves. This will be like when I first started reading about friction hitches and how they work (I learned the tautline in the 70-s and used it for 20 years until I found fellow arborists on the web)...lots of what you might report will be Zulu to me but some of it will stick.

Thanks for your input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for that, Gary. We have other resources, and in the interim I'm enjoying some sport with the dutch treat. the bigger the ego, the easier to prick, and i just can't resist.

O and I'm finding your bamboo pole workout good for aching shoulders.

O and someday my mind will open enough to learn how to move beyond the tautline, I hope!

I was told here by the local farm adviser that Eucs originally came over without their natural pests. So they thrived like no one's business; however, slowly their pests have been making their way here also.

and in the interim I'm enjoying some sport with the dutch treat. the bigger the ego, the easier to prick, and i just can't resist.

O and I'm finding your bamboo pole workout good for aching shoulders.

Sporting with the dutch treat sounds like an admirable task to me. :D

I am glad the staff stretches help...I am doing some rope stretches now that can work wonders on shoulders and the back...part of a Burmese Yoga system.

Happy jousting with Mr. Fungus. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never cut or even seen a rotten Euc. Though the vids that Grahme Mcmahon posts show some big time rot in'em.

I'm seeing a lot that are rotted 80% around and still retained. Would be interesting to see the inside. O and welcome back Gerry; the gang was wondering.

Burmese yoga--okay, whatever works! I'd like to share that original staff stretching vid--is it still around?

Here you go, Guy...two types of Burmese yoga...stick (dhanda) and rope (lonji):

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1762502947645229113&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

and here are some basic anchored rope stretches...excellent for back, shoulders, torso:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IwiVBV4IlQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back