Stihl 660 carb. adjust limiters

old irish

TreeHouser
Ahh, Sunday morning, gotta work anyway. Question for the experts. None of my old saws have the carb adjustment limiters in them so I don't know the best safest way to remove them. The problem is this: I put a dual port muffler and an aftermarket air cleaner on my Stihl 660. That has changed the fuel mixture. I live at 7000ft. and work above that so I need more freedom on adjusting the carb. Can anyone tell me the right way to remove these red plastic limiters? Thank a bunch.

I am no saw wrench but I have read "just cut them off" or "just pull them out with a wood screw screwed into them" .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, I Googled it and couldn't find anything specific. The limiters are quite small and firmly in place. Any other ideas?

The saw guys should weigh in here soon.

Ah, the old working-on-Sunday-morning trick, don't it stink?

Bump for input and results, I have a ms660 that I'd like to do the same with, dual port muffler but STIHL filter, we run between 4500-8000ft.

I don't have a newer Stihl in front of me but with all my Husqvarnas I just slice the plastic stops off with a Xacto knife.

I'm sure Stihl's plastic screw restrictors are the same. You shouldn't have to remove them, look at them close and there should be a little knob that sticks out on the side of the collar. Turn the screw in and out and see how it butts up against another plastic piece, when you have that figured out take the razor knife and slice the knob off.
Hope this helps.

Thanks all for helping. I ended up using the wood screw trick and it worked well. I bought the dual port mufflers and the after market air filter for my 460 and 660. It is amazing the difference. Both run like production saws without porting. Holmen the newer Husky's might be different as far as the plastic stops are, I don't know.

Ahh, Sunday morning, gotta work anyway. Question for the experts. None of my old saws have the carb adjustment limiters in them so I don't know the best safest way to remove them. The problem is this: I put a dual port muffler and an aftermarket air cleaner on my Stihl 660. That has changed the fuel mixture. I live at 7000ft. and work above that so I need more freedom on adjusting the carb. Can anyone tell me the right way to remove these red plastic limiters? Thank a bunch.
There is at least two different I have seen. If it is this WJ-69 carb I attached image of you need the tool numbered 35 in pic to get them out.

660.jpg

Fuel mixture has likly not changed, but the saw has so now it can breathe more and want more fuel.

Sorry for not responding Big, It is busy right now. Anyway, you can get the filters from Madsen's or Bailey's. I prefer Madsen's these days. There are two different types for the stihl. Get the more expensive one that comes with two foam filters and the plastic top cover. Don't wash them in gas.

Back