SRT techniques for beginners

View attachment 136052Tried to get my hitch tighter to the hiker per Bermy's advice and tried a few variations of what goes where on the Hitchclimber with the RW.
You might want to invest in an HMS carabiner for your rope wrench so you can fit both the hitch cord eyes and the eyes for the wrench tether on the bottom most hole of the hitch climber pulley. It might tend and advance strangely with howl you have it there. But perhaps not. Never tried what you're doing. Just giving some advice. It may not all fit on one carabiner, though. So perhaps what you're doing is appropriate.

Last edited:
Hey, Pat @pigwot. I finally got around to cutting out the holster from the patterned sheet you sent. Thanks a million.

That went fine. I have yet to try to mold it, but I think that'll not be a problem. If I have trouble with it, I'll be back with more questions.

But I'm not sure what diameter the holes, two for the carabiner to pass through and one for the advancing tether to clip to, should be. And also what the measurement from the edges of the holes to the outer edge of the holster should be.

Could you, or anyone who has a holster at hand, do some checking for me? I'd appreciate it another million :).
I measured the main carabiner holes 15mm diameter and the center of that hole 17.5 mm from the edge of the Kydex radius. The tending hole is 12mm dia and the center 14mm from the edge of Kydex radius. I think there is some parallax in these images making the measurements look smaller.
I am very excited your are making this! I always wanted to mold a Kydex holster or sheath but have never done it. Right now I am so busy that I won’t build anything I have already. Will you create any dis-harmony at home if you warm the blank in the toaster oven?

IMG_8516.jpeg IMG_8514.jpeg

You might want to invest in an HMS carabiner for your rope wrench so you can fit both the hitch cord eyes and the eyes for the wrench tether on the bottom most hole of the hitch climber pulley. It might tend and advance strangely with howl you have it there. But perhaps not. Never tried what you're doing. Just giving some advice. It may not all fit on one carabiner, though. So perhaps what you're doing is appropriate.
Everything fits on my carabiner at #3 but #2,3 end up behind the legs of the tether rendering them useless. This was the only I way could pull everything in line and have something accessible to clip my chestbox to.

I measured the main carabiner holes 15mm diameter and the center of that hole 17.5 mm from the edge of the Kydex radius. The tending hole is 12mm dia and the center 14mm from the edge of Kydex radius. I think there is some parallax in these images making the measurements look smaller.
I am very excited your are making this! I always wanted to mold a Kydex holster or sheath but have never done it. Right now I am so busy that I won’t build anything I have already. Will you create any dis-harmony at home if you warm the blank in the toaster oven?

View attachment 136053View attachment 136054
Thanks very much...that is exactly the sort of info I was looking for, and the pictures are perfect.

As to disharmony...we don't own a toaster oven, so that's safe :). I could do it in the regular kitchen oven, I think :D.

I was thinking to try the hot water method. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Pat @pigwot. I finally got around to cutting out the holster from the patterned sheet you sent. Thanks a million.

That went fine. I have yet to try to mold it, but I think that'll not be a problem. If I have trouble with it, I'll be back with more questions.

But I'm not sure what diameter the holes, two for the carabiner to pass through and one for the advancing tether to clip to, should be. And also what the measurement from the edges of the holes to the outer edge of the holster should be.

Could you, or anyone who has a holster at hand, do some checking for me? I'd appreciate it another million :).
Burnham, I’m across the country from mine at the moment. I’ll get back on the 13th.

As I understand it, the hot Kydex cools extremely fast after removal from the water bath, due to rapid evaporation of the water still on the surface of the hot plastic. So, it's hard to work quickly enough to do the molding you want before it stiffens too much to be worked.

Well, got it done. @pigwot , thanks again for the Kydex and pattern.

It looks to me like the legs to the carabiner are a bit longer than optimal, but I also think it'll work fine. Yet to climb on it, but I'd be surprised if it's a problem.

I heated it in the oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. That worked beautifully. Once I'd molded it the first time, I could see I'd made it too tight to fit easily past the hex drive nuts on the sides, so I redid it. Second time through the oven was no issue at all. To refine it a bit after that, I did use boiling water...just dipped it for 10 seconds or so, then used my fingers to manipulate it.

Here are some pics.

kydex 003.JPG kydex 005.JPG kydex 006.JPG kydex 007.JPG kydex 008.JPG kydex 009.JPG kydex 010.JPG

Well, got it done. @pigwot , thanks again for the Kydex and pattern.

It looks to me like the legs to the carabiner are a bit longer than optimal, but I also think it'll work fine. Yet to climb on it, but I'd be surprised if it's a problem.

I heated it in the oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes. That worked beautifully. Once I'd molded it the first time, I could see I'd made it too tight to fit easily past the hex drive nuts on the sides, so I redid it. Second time through the oven was no issue at all. To refine it a bit after that, I did use boiling water...just dipped it for 10 seconds or so, then used my fingers to manipulate it.

Here are some pics.

View attachment 136113View attachment 136114View attachment 136115View attachment 136116View attachment 136117View attachment 136118View attachment 136119
Bravo, @Burnham! Saving that loot with some DIY magic!

If I had a heat gun, I might well have gone that route from the get-go Stephen.

But I declare, the oven at 250 degrees/10 minutes was perfect for working with the Kydex. The boiling water dip was also user friendly for final detailed forming. So if you want to do this, and are without a heat gun, fear not as this method works a treat.

Seems like I just cannot leave this subject alone :D.

Anyway, for the holes, because I live here in non-metric land, I used a 1/2 inch spade bit to drill the tender hole, and 5/8 inch spade bit for the carabiner holes.

Real close to the metric dimensions I was given by @Eric H-L. Thanks to you, sir. Very helpful info.

Back