Spliced eye won't pull through small ring on way up

Bermy

Acolyte of the short bar
...installing a friction saver from the ground, my new Tachyon with the spliced eye won't pull through the small ring, it's a snug fit, and the splice doesn't flex...most irritating.

Any chance that time will wear some flex into it?
IN the meantime I'm pulling the unspliced end through, tieing a knot like I used to, going up then switching the whole lot over up at the top. sort of defeats the purpose :(

I would set the FS and then pull the unspliced eye through big ring first then small ring, then when you are done climbing just send the spliced eye up, let it catch on the small ring and retrieve it.

Hammer that eye with a rubber mallet a bit, smoosh it into a softer form :)...or set the FS the easier way, by pulling it up with your climb line already set in the small ring...see Jepson's book for a good diagram of that method. It's my preference, in general.

I anchor hitch my throwline right to the eye on my imori.

Even if I try to suck the eye down with a pile hitch + a couple turns to squish the eye down it still won't make it through reliably.

I tie the throwline to the rope normal, take a couple half hitches and then shoot a loop through the eye at the end and flip it over... it sets the throwline about as sleek as possible wit the eye.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys!

Quabin...if my spliced eye is a tight fit, there's no way your stitched eye will go through the small ring.

The appropriately sized fender washer attached with throwline retrieves well, in lieu of a ball. I know the ball retrieves WAY better than an overhand knot when the adjustable RnR FS is used on a spar...and the mallet.

Back