Rough starting saw

It would be a pain in the ass unless that's all you did .Somebody in business needs that thing running like yesterday .

The stuff I do I tell them straight up it's when I get to it .Might be this night or two weeks from now .In addition you can't dump 100 dollars worth of labor and 100 bucks worth of parts into a saw that's worth 150 .

To people like myself who have 40 50 saws it's a hobby but to a logger or trimmer it's the tools of their trade so they need them right now .

The thing about saws is that it can take a lot of time to discover that it is a low cost item to fix. All you have basically is your labor in return, and I don't think many shops can ethically really charge much money for a couple hours labor, if they knew that where first to have looked would have enabled a repair in twenty minutes or less. Ethics over making a living can be a tough call.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I couldn't agree more with the last two posts.

One big problem for me is the lack of GOOD saw techs around here. I was in charge of saws at my last job and now, as owner, I am in charge again. Over the past 11 years I can count on one hand the number of times I brought a saw in and got it back quickly where it was really fixed. Most times it took way too long and the saw still didn't work right afterwards. Right or wrong, if I can't fix a saw by myself, it gets taken out of service and replaced with a new one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have pretty much stopped taking my saws into the local shop or even the shop the next town over. More often than not, they come back not fixed proper. Missing pieces, not running right (well it ran fine in here), running worse, things I asked for done not done... 3 week wait and for what... Funny, my saws work better and perform longer with me working on them. Solved the wrong part issue as well...... I give them the part number...

There doesn't seem too much that can go wrong on a saw that after running it for not too long with the thought that you fixed it, it tells you that you didn't. Ignition trouble can be one exception. I don't know what's up with shops that erroneously tell you that they fixed it? At least they could say that maybe they fixed it. :lol:

What happens is they fix what they think is the issue, fire it up and rev it up a few times and call it good. Its when the chain meets the wood that many problems rear their head. Good saw mechanics are hard to come by. My mechanic doesn't bill me for time he spends scratching his head wondering. He bills me for the labor and part of the issue itself. If he nails it on the head on the first try, he makes money. If he struggles to solve the problem, well that's his loss, as he is the mechanic and expected to be able to solve those riddles efficiently. He nails it first try every time usually and its typically a small issue.

There are times it is very hard to find the problem. Running them in wood is not always a sure thing to provoke out a issue.
I had saws here I ran 4-5 tanks thru without any issue. It is a guessing game sometimes, rare occasions but still....

If I work on a saw I want to get paid for the time I spend on it. That is not always possible. I have saws here I spent 20-30 hrs on...

99 of a 100 i have on the bench is 5 min diagnostic's tops. The ones that give grief usually do so for a reason, it is just to find it.
Getting info needed is not easy without a saw. Much easier on the bench were you see, hear, smell and feel.
Telephone and internet diagnostic's is about as accurate as the info provided.

Sometimes I take it personal and decide to beat the thing and then you can't bill it all. I put it on education account. I might smarten up someday and leave it alone, but I have not given up on a saw so far.

Sometimes I take it personal and decide to beat the thing and then you can't bill it all. I put it on education account. I might smarten up someday and leave it alone, but I have not given up on a saw so far.

:lol: Sometimes I'd like to beat the piss out of them but so far I've held my temper .I have had a few of my own though I just had to walk away from until I cleared my head .It can get to be frustrating I must admit .

There are alway's a couple saws that need time to correct attitude here...
I have a 357 here on shelf that has issues and it was so annoying it is now on shelf for a bit. If not I fear I would kill it.

I had a 346 I must have spent 40 hrs on. This i had for 3 months I think.
This was another company that got it in for service, changed piston and saw did not run.
Turns out it was wrong piston they put in....

I would definitely try replacing the ignition on the Jonsered, used ones may not be so pricey at ebay. Could very well be a weak or inconsistent spark or no spark. If it burps a little when trying to start, but doesn't start, I think it could well indicate a faulty ignition. Sometimes they do that when there is still some life.

It's pretty easy to get the wrong parts by mistake .I once thought I had a Ford 292 and it turned out to be a 272 V8 engine .A fact I didn't take into consideration at the time .So some place hiding in my shop on a shelf is a brand new set of 292 Ford piston rings.

As they say education comes with a price .Anyone that doesn't slip up once in a while obviously doesn't do too much .

Back